Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Canada Closed Until Feb 2022

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by DOCKMASTER, Feb 5, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

There won't be much of a tourism industry left to welcome the cruise ships whenever they do come back...
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

There won't be any business under a couple of million in revenue. The restrictions will have successfully killed every small business by the time this is over.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They only banned pleasure boats in the Arctic Circle, above 60 degrees, not where I imagine any of us were planning to go. False headline.

You also missed it on the number of people. It's cruise ships over 100. Boats with over 12 can't enter the Arctic Circle.
  5. olderboater

Only if you misquote or misinterpret the article and the rules.
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

No, perhaps I missed a comma or an s. Canada has locked down all "non essential" business. If you are a large big box you can open. If you have an owner operator business your forced to close your doors.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We have 2 threads on the same subject. https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/canada-u-s-border.33124/page-8 This is from the other thread (Maybe they should be combined):
    Canada has extended it's cruise ban above the Arctic Circle until at least February 2022. This affects cruise ships carrying more than 100 passengers and private craft carrying more than 12 passengers. "Those who violate the passenger-vessel prohibition could be fined up to 1 million Canadian dollars, equivalent to about $779,000, imprisoned for up to 18 months, or both"
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/canada-extends-cruise-ban-by-a-year-until-february-2022-11612470951
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's the same the world over, and it'll only get worse until the pandemic is beaten. Many will be hurt. Many businesses won't survive. It happened in 2008 and we rebuilt, and we'll do it again as long as we're still alive. Where does making money stack up compared to being dead?
  9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Imagine having a successful business of 35+ years, and then being completely shut down due to government lockdowns. Some would say that's about as bad as being dead. Not just for one's own family, but for the families of employees as well.
    Kevin likes this.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I know probably close to 50 people whose lives have been destroyed by suicide, divorce, lost jobs, financial ruin and closed businesses. I don’t know anyone who died from the red flu.

As to the original post, it is sad to see a media company like Forbes screwing up a headline like they did in this case.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I don't have to imagine I've had and run businesses and I've handed out the pink slips (and received them) when businesses have folded. The loss of income is absolutely devastating, and it's worldwide. Families are being destroyed and falling into poverty. But we will be going through it until we beat the pandemic. Do we want to go through recurring national and local lockdowns forever and lose millions of lives in the process or will be bite the bullet, and do what's necessary to beat the pandemic now. 2020 was a washout and so will be 2021 Do we want 2025 to be a washout as well?
    Pascal I'm very happy that you don't know anyone who has died from the pandemic yet. Almost half a million American families aren't so fortunate, and that's not even counting the almost 100,000 people each day who get a tube stuffed down their throats and laid on their bellies for weeks and months in hospital. This is something that could end the human race, but we have the power to stop it. Just not easily. And no Ken losing your business is not nearly as bad as being dead. Dead you can't recover from. I expected more of you. Every successful person I know hit rock bottom at one time. I know I have.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

And half a million is the number of death due to tobacco. We don’t shut down the country because of it...

The question I ve had is how do we beat it? First it was that if we lock down for a couple of months all will be good. That s what Europe did... strictly enforced... and it didn’t work. Then the next set of goal post was when a vaccine is available. Well... it s been on the market for a couple of months now and it’s not helping because of new strains. What s next?
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

While politics and pandemics aren't directly related to the subject title, we don't need to go down that rabbit hole.
  15. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Shame on you for judging me! I happen to be speaking from a very personal experience. My Canadian family is in the tour boat business, which is strictly seasonal. This new ruling effectively puts them out of business for second year.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So should we all smoke? You can tell if someone lights up in the chair next to you. Try telling which person next to you has Corona Virus. And btw, restaurants bars and businesses screamed holy hell and were sure it would end their businesses when the ban on smoking indoors took effect. Do you realize how many people were employed in smoking related businesses all the way up to Madison Avenue? Somehow we survived, and that comes from a smoker.
    The shut downs helps and save lives. Wearing a mask helps and saves lives. Social distancing helps and saves lives. The vaccine will hopefully beat it, but it won't be like an episode on TV where all is good by the end of the hour and only fools would expect that. It will take years. Most estimate 7 years if we fight hard. Till then our job #1 is staying alive.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I judge only your words. I respect your intelligence and expected better from you than "Some would say that's about as bad as being dead. Not just for one's own family, but for the families of employees as well." There's no coming back from dead. When faced with adversity we fight back. We do what we have to do to survive, and if we do we start over and rebuild. But first we have to beat the enemy. I'm older than most here and I've never seen an enemy like we're fighting today, but my parents did and I know what it took for them to survive the sacrifices and inconveniences (to put it mildly) during 5 years of WW II, The Great Depression, and they were born into the pandemic of the 1918 pandemic and WW I. We've barely been touched compared to where we may be if we don't do what's necessary today. We must depend on the experts, those who know far more than you or I, to lead us out of this. That's the governments, doctors, scientists, economists.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually that's the title and subject of this thread. At least now there's no elections involved. So it's now all about government's and our responses to the pandemic and how it will affect us (as boaters and otherwise).
  19. olderboater

No, the title is simply a statement of fact, although a bit misleading. It in no way is by itself political. It only takes you and others to turn it so. All it really required was simply a clarification and understanding of who is impacted and how. This is a boating forum, so how are boats and ships and yachts impacted.

But then you and Pascal managed to get every serious thread I started on how the industry is impacted closed as well as the one on FLIBS which I would have thought was important on this forum, especially a discussion of how the show went and who sold what or didn't.
  20. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Well the Toronto boat show ended a couple of weeks ago. It was entirely virtual. And it seems according to several exhibitors it was a huge success. Boat sales, electronics etc, lots of product sold. I spent several thousand myself updating equipment for the boat. One exhibitor told me in 15 years attending the boat show in person, this year was by far his best year for sales ever. 3 fold he said.
    In the area I live in brokers are still short of boats to offer the public. New boat sales for our area from some makes are almost sold out for this year. Good news for the boating community. Not so much if your looking for a new boat.
    Just to correct a couple of things on the previous posts. The rules implemented by the federal and provincial government are not the same across Canada. Each province is able to modify rules as it applies to their situation. For example in North bay ontario they are not as closed down as they are in Toronto. A great number of stores are still able to open with curb side pick-up. I live in an area that is currently classed as a hot zone. So far in one LTC home 62 people have died out of 124 residents because of the virus. The varient is very active in ontario right now. It has shown a smaller load dose is only needed to contract this virus. Our numbers in ontario are dipping slightly because of the lockdowns. Government is providing some reforms to help business make it through the storm. Not perfect for sure. I have friends that have contracted this covid 19 and have passed away because of it. Not a pleasant death. As far as the flu is concerned, the local Public health unit Doctor has advises several months ago that deaths from covid 19 has surpassed those that have died from the flu long ago. Someone close to me who has been an Epidemiologist for some time is very concerned what is happening. More concerned about the variants then the covid 19. Time will tell if decisions people or government make where the right ones.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.