Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Burger

Can you just send a tech? Please...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Jan 7, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

So... we know that mechanics are a thing of the past as they have been eradicated by technicians.

today I emailed a well known fire system contractor in Ft Liquordale to schedule our annual inspection. Same folks I ve used for years

I get an email back from a nice lady (well I assume she s nice and I assume she s a lady based on her first name... but who knows...) saying she can have a “project manager” on the vessel next week

Why the hell do I need a project manager to inspect and certify our fire system???? I just need a guy to check the gauges, maybe do the hydro test on a few bottles and test the Fireboy shutdown!! A project manager???

Thank god nobody has come up with a new softer nicer gentler more inclusive title for captain.... yet!
  2. dewald

dewald Member

Not a surprise for what has been going on the last few days as for the proper gender terminology. In yachting, going from Tech to Project Manager means you must pay more $$. :D
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

During some time in a previous life (career), us techs were called account managers then product managers.
    The contract managers were all laid off with most of our in-house support engineers. Going thru another merger and nobody had a clue who was going to do what after the merge.
    Us techs had to keep the customers in the dark and keep them running statu quo. Any issues, we had to fix it; hardware or customer.

I'm sure project manager is just a new/later job description meaning the same to us after all these years; another punk tech.

Lucky for us, Our fire equipment engineer owns her company, does all the work and is darn cute.
    Her company covers StAug, Daytona, Jax and further if needed.
    She has all my respect as an equipment engineer.
    Not many get this endorsement from me.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Reminds me of another story.
    I was a guest at a S FL house in the mid 90s and the home owner wanted me to call him when the septic tank crew showed up.
    When they backed in, I greeted them and called the home owner that the PooPumpers had arrived.
    Some how the big guy from that crew overheard my comment. He chased me down and corrected me; They were Sanitation Engineers.
  5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Already done..... People Express 1986..... We were "Flight Managers" Fortunately that died a quiet death in the 1987 merger with Continental.
  6. KoffeeCruising

KoffeeCruising Member

I flew Freddy’s People Express to Newark back in the day....traveling to training for my first job out of college at Merrill Lynch. In 1982 the modern bull market started so by 1985 they hired anyone willing to “talk to strangers and ask them for money” ..ya know.... guys like me. The Dow was at 1286 when I started and people wanted to get in on the action. Originally we were “Account Executives”, which I thought sounded cool ... to be an executive. But they quickly changed us to Financial Consultants; what we consulted was how to get your $$ to get a sales commission.....not strategy. Luckily the market made you look smart until October 1987.

I stayed until 1990; and left to help raise money for a software company a friend of mine was starting. I realized my clients @ Merrill Lynch didn’t make their wealth through trading stocks; they had equity in something, worked hard for decades , and one day looked up from their grind to find they were sitting on a fortune.

I earned the title of Financial Consultant by living through the 1987 crash and subsequent recovery(s)... just as my 6pack license was simply paper until I had to back into a slip between huge boats in current and wind, or ride out a storm or learn my anchor wasn’t set properly in the middle of the night. I now understand much better what I don’t know which is more important than having a fancy title.

I know you have to earn what you learn. So// I hope your Project Manager or Technician started young, got their hands dirty and made mistakes along the way so they are capable regardless of their title.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Had an employee who wanted a raise. My supervisor told me to give him a title instead. Cheaper, and he then gets to charge customers more for his services. Win/win (for the boss).
  8. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

FreddyLaker was another airline..... PE was founded by Donald Burr.
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Good one,,lol
  10. David Helsom

David Helsom Member

We have to call it a flight deck now, cockpit has become offensive. Go figure.