Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Delta

Calculate Engine Load

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Capt Cole, May 21, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

My boat has twin Volvo D-6 370 diesel engines and has the Volvo Penta EVC (Electronic Vessel Control).
    Using the display, I can scroll through a number of output readings which are useful. However, the one piece of data I can't find in this system is load %.

Anyone out there know if this reading is somewhere in the EVC system and how to pull it up? I don't see it anywhere in the instruction manual that came with the system.

Is there a formula for calculating load factor?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'd be very surprised if your system doesn't provide engine load but I'm not familiar with Volvo's systems. However, meanwhile, while the true load is a bit more complex calculation than this, the simple approximation is the fuel consumption divided by the fuel consumption at WOT. So, if your maximum is 150 gph and at your current level you're using 90 gph, then you're at 60% load.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

4. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

I'll confirm with Volvo about whether there system provides load data. I certainly couldn't find it.

Thank you Olderboater and Capt Ralph for sharing how to make the calculation.
  5. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

Spent Memorial Weekend on the boat. I scrolled through all pages of the EVC and could not find "load". Volvo shop closed for the holiday so I'll call them later.

The Volvo Manual makes no recommendation as to optimum operating load other than to say run slightly under WOT for better economy. Using calculations based upon info from Capt Ralph and Olderboater, I am typically cruising in the 55%-65% range. For my particular application (Volvo D6 370) is this a good operating range?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

With a 3500 RPM power band available, you may more consider ride & check book comfort more important than load range.
    I do consider 60 to 70% good leaning more to 70% if I had real numbers to go by.
    What RPM are you turning to make your 55-65% range?
  7. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

2900 RPM puts me right at 65%. Bumping up a bit is not a problem. Running 2900 to 3000 seems to be a sweet spot.

Thanks again.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There are two "sweet spots" that are often useful to compare. One is the comfort spot which you've identified. The other is found in performance charts. If you don't have one for your boat, then build one. They're like the charts you see on testing and review sites.

Here is one off one of our boats:

upload_2019-5-29_12-29-45.png
    We normally cruise at 20-23 knots which is 52-65% and gives us 0.27-0.24 nmpg. 24 knots is around 2125 RPM and about 76% load and still well within a reasonable load but beyond 2000 RPM, the load and fuel usage rise much faster than the speed. That extra knot just isn't worth it. From 2000 RPM down load changes are fairly much a normal curve and any of those speeds make sense. We can run slow at 15 knots and 28% load and get 0.36 nmpg. Many run 12 knots at 15% load and get 0.55 nmpg. Those speeds are ok as long as periodically you raise to 23 knots or so. I am a believer in varying speeds. We might run two hours at 23 knots and then 30 minutes at 20 knots, just to vary things.

Now on another boat we get something like this:

upload_2019-5-29_12-40-42.png
    2000 RPM, 37 knots is 78% load. 35 knots is around 72% load. So we might run at 35 knots or so if we're making a quick run for lunch in Miami or across to Bimini. However, the performance chart on this boat shows very little to be gained by running slower. 29 knots is still 60% load and only 0.67 nmpg vs. 0.66 nmpg at 37 knots.

An interesting comparison on the two boats. Comparing 1500 RPM to 2000 RPM
    Boat number 1, you're comparing 28% load to 65% load and decreasing speed by 35% while increasing nmpg by 129%. Boat number 2, you're comparing 44% load to 78% and decreasing speed by 41% while increasing nmpg by only 5%. This is consistent with the design and intent of the two boats. Number 1 is designed for long range cruising at various speeds. While we run often at 20-23 knots, most owners run it most at 12-15 knots. Number 2 is designed for short high speed runs. Most would run it at 30-37 knots and there's no real benefit to slowing down.

You need to get very comfortable with your boat and understand it's load at various speeds, it's nmpg, it's range, how it feels, how it sounds, and how it handles various sea conditions.
  9. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

Great info and thank you. My best recollection is that I can run at about 9 kts and get close to 2 mpg. Running at my typical cruise is approx. .6 mpg cruising at avg 15 kts. I just need to take the time to build the chart.

As reflected in your charts, my fuel burn increases dramatically toward the upper load levels with a minimal increase in SOG