Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Cabo Battery Setup question

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Dec 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The battery box has 6 batteries. Two starting batteries wired in series they are fine.
    The four house batteries are wired in series/parallel. I have one smaller wire that connects to a positive connection on one battery that I don't know what it powers. Any ideas? Will try to post a picture. The wire is on the bottom right battery positive terminal. There are two other red wires on that terminal which are correct. The four house batteries are the ones to the right.

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Tell me where your yellow negative cables connect (from the 2x2 bank). Both directly to the same bus bar? Very close?
    I'm concerned with that red cable between the bottom batteries. It may not allow the top batteries to balance. On the other hand, it insures the 12Vdc equipment gets all it needs.
    As far as that loose red cable goes, what devices to you have that uses 12Vdc?
    If you don't have any 12Vdc stuff, don't/can't follow the cable, then pull the cable off and see what failed.
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Cabo is well know for their documentation / manuals, etc.
    Call the factory and I bet with even the new ownership, some one will step up to the plate and get you an answer.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Ralph,
    All three yellow cables go to a grounding bar approximately 4ft from batteries. The large cable coming up from the bottom is the main positive power cable for the 24v house power. I am not sure what the smaller red cable goes to. Will disconnect and see. I do have a 60amp 24v to 12v converter device that it could be connected to.
    Skip
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I wish. Tried talking to them on several occasions with no success. I do have the original electrical drawings although this cable is not shown.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If we are looking at the same cable, It will deliver 12Vdc. It would not be used for a 24v to 12Vdc converter.

Do you have 24Vdc chargers or 2 x 12Vdc chargers stacked? Or a 24Vdc battery equalizer? Just some thoughts.

Find us a young skinny bilge rat kid to follow that cable.
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I will get in there this week and track it down. I have a 24v charger and not sure about the equalizer. Seems like I have seen one in one of those really tight spots. Thanks
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The smaller cable goes to the 12volt positive bus bar for all of your electronics. The busbar is usually behind your breaker panel.