Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Cross

Cabin odors

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by FabianAndrades, Mar 28, 2009.

1. FabianAndrades

FabianAndrades New Member

Hi guys, need help with one of my new clients.

We're doing maintenance on a 2003 Sundancer 32', which hasn't been used in almost 3 years. After all the regular maintenance (bottom paint, engine checks, etc.) and bringing her up to date on everything, I still can't get rid of the foul smell inside the cabin that comes from being humid for a long time.

I've tried everything we usually use on our other vessels, but nothing worked. Any ideas ?? I never tried Ozone treatment ; did anybody ?? Doesit work ?? Is it worth the investment in the Ozone generator ??

Thank you so much ,,

Fabian
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

A guy I know named Schuman has come up with a gizmo called Nautic Air that is supposed to be the "be all-end all" in fixing boat odors. He got some award for this thing at IBEX last year. Google and you'll find him. It installs into the AC system onboard.

I found a link- here it is http://nauticairllc.com/
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ozone machines do indeed work, but you don't want to spend anytime in the space of that size searay with the machine on.

Change the holding tank filter that is equipped on that vessel, flush the holding tank with water and empty a few times and make sure the vent is clear. You can blow it out with compressed air.

Wash all of the bilges out with a good bilge cleaner like Orpine Bilge Cleaner.

Airing the boat out for a few days with the hatches open and some fans helps greatly. Then run the a/c. As does things like bounty dryer sheets in front of the a/c return grate, while running the a/c on a low temperature setting like 69 degrees for a few days. After all this, having the carpeting and soft materials steam cleaned by a company works wonders and helps get the remaining smell out of the fabrics that is stuck in them.
  4. corinthian99

corinthian99 New Member

Capt J's comment about steam cleaning the fabrics is spot on. Remember to sterilise the air handlers AND ductwork - and not just for the sake of smells. I'd advise a proprietary sterilising tablet dropped into your condensate pans and a thorough spray of all the evaporators (the finned bits). For the smell try using Tea Tree gels (Gelair is the trade name) - kills mold and gives a nice clean smell to the boat.:)
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Leave some new "Irish Spring" soap bars in the galley and head, pour mint-Listerine in the head, let a 110 volt fan run 24 hrs and the smell should improve.

Some of the "old-boat" smell comes from mildew in corners and out of sight places. A rag soaked with acetone will kill any living smelly organism anywhere.

Citric acid will keep mildew away: Use 50/50 water/vinegear and squezze a lemon and a lime in the bucket.

(Got that one from a couple living on a sailboat in Panama for 30 years..She was the first female Panama Canal Pilot..Nowhere more hot and humid than Panama..:eek: )
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What special properties does a 110V Fan have over one of another voltage when it comes to reducing odours?

I think Capt J and Corinthian have come up with a thorough method to get ahead of the smell this chap seems to be struggling with.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No special properties. On these boats it's normal procedure to shut the batteries when off the boat.
  8. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Try: http://www.pureayre.com/strong.htm

This is the only odor control product I've found that will even get rid of diesel odors.

And becareful using ozone generators. Ozone can degrade some forms of rubber and I believe plastics as well.
  9. brianwill

brianwill New Member

A problem that's often hard to diagnoze is odor from the sink drains. Put a small aount of bleach in the drains and let it sit overnight and flush with fresh water.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

If I have to explain.....:confused:

Yup, why use the ship's system and expensive 12 Volt fan's to do the same job as a $17.00 K-Mart fan hooked up to shore power..The K-Mart 110 Volt fan moves quite a bit more air than the "cool yer face" 12 volt fans...Hence my comment.:rolleyes:
  11. corinthian99

corinthian99 New Member

You can never be absolutely sure on smells. However ozone generators are usually a pretty temporary fix (can be used on black water tank vents effectively), they only adversely affect rubber/plastic seals on a long term basis. I would not use household bleach; it not only leaves a nasty chemical smell but does no favours to the plastics/rubber seals on your sanitary system. Nothing wrong with vinegar in the toilets - good long term treatment for heads and with no risk of damage to your heads.

Still emphasise that you treat the soft furnishings and AC system. Thats my tuppence worth anyway.:)
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You might want to be careful with bleach as is may damage the drain hoses.
  13. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

I picked up on your use of the word ‘foul’ as opposed to ‘unpleasant’. If it is just an unpleasant smell, all or most of the above should work. If however you really do mean ‘foul’ then you may have something like a dead rat in there.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very good point. In fact, if she's on the hard, it's not that unusual for varments to crawl inside exhausts and through hulls.:(
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Does this include the ones in sharp suits and mirror shades?
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ever watch "COPS"? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.:D
  17. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

......:D
  18. FabianAndrades

FabianAndrades New Member

Rodents

Truly hope I ain't got none of those !!!

Anyhow, thanks again for everybody's help, I'm gonna have a trial and error week .... honestly I don't think there are major problems, hopefully is just the smell of being unused for so long.

I'll let you all know how it goes ..... :)