Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Walker

C18 Twin Turbo Cat's, Any Issues?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Lug_Nut, Mar 22, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut New Member

I have been aware that some twin turbo Cat engines were having some issues. The ones I heard of were smaller, I think C12 or 15's. Anyone have any input on the service issues on '04 C-18's?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I do not have any experience on the higher output C 18's but can say I am very happy with the 3 X 435 ekW Gensets I have been using on a recent project. I encouraged the Owner to upgrade from 3408'S and am happy with the result.

These are the single turbo ones running at 1500 RPM.

There have been a couple of sensor failures and some leaks not all of which could be blamed on CAT. They do not burn any large amounts of oil and always run very clean.

I seem to recall reading about the first pair of the high output C 18's that were in service, they were used on a game boat from somewhere around Beaufort, NC/ Cape Hatteras area.

The boat operator gave them a rave review, I can't remember if it was a new boat or a re power though.
  3. NinePostNeil

NinePostNeil Senior Member

C-18

I have had nothing but good experiances wih the C-18's. Have used them in approx 15 boats and have run extremely well. One set had several oil leaks over the first few months but other than that have been great preformers.