Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

C/Engineers aid a jnr engineer

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by gareth.griggs, Mar 8, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gareth.griggs

gareth.griggs New Member

Good day,
    Plain and simply I have been "engineer" on my vessel for 24 months with my AEC with the capital goal of doing my MEOL exam before the season. We all know how important leaving an AEC behind is. I have completed the ancillary prerequisite courses and have qualified service (24months) as with MEOL no actual sea service is required.

Problem is my vessel falls under the >24m, <200gt, <1500kW regarding MCA manning scales, however my vessel has 2 MTU's totalling 2942kW. Which requires the chief engineer if holding only an AEC to have attended an approved manufactures course relevant to engine power, shall the kW rating be greater than <1500kW to satisfy manning scales as the engineer.
    I do not have that manufacturers course under my belt, so correct me if I'm wrong, I am not eligible to sit the MEOL.

If I were to do the manufacturers course now, having not had it behind me the last 24 months would I be able to do the MEOL? I am brutally confused as literally the last 2 yrs of my life I have done everything to take the next step and (my fault) only read the annotations in fine print now, so if I am completely exempt from the exam considering my status how on earth does 1 acquire their MEOL through the MCA examinable route as you cant work as any kind of assistant engineer with an AEC according to MGN156 http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mgn_156(m).pdf

I do understand you can be a dual role deck/ engineer (36 months) but as seen in the annexe A the small numbers 1 & 3 above is the ONLY block an AEC engineer can work in referring to rank and vessel size/power being >24, <200gt, <1500kW. So you telling me every Engineer in Yachting (examinable route) spent 3 years as a deck/eng prior to starting the 3 years had both an AEC & manufacturers course all of which was on a >24,<200gt, <1500kw vessel.

Please help me clarify this
    Regards
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Apply for your NOE for your next step on the exam ladder, show your setime and whatever other courses you have done.

The MCA will either send you a NOE or ask you for something else to get to the minimum requirements.