Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Burger

buying roamer?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by jakeh, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jakeh

jakeh New Member

I have just sold my previous boat and am looking at buying a large aluminium Chris Craft Roamer to refit and go cruising in the islands for a year. I would be interested in opinions, pro and con, regarding seakeeping abilities, construction, and maintainance of these older vessels. I have found a prospect that seems to have been well taken care of and maintained is there specific items to look for when surveying?
  2. Lehmanhehman

Lehmanhehman Guest

Do yourself a favor these metal boats are hard to find someone that understands them, much less knows how to work on them. They take expensive bottom paint and you can't have the bottom cleaned like on a fiberglass boat. Take a lot at a Hatteras about the same age and size you are wanting, you'll get alot more boat and have less headaches.
  3. jakeh

jakeh New Member

Hatteras vs Roamer

We have looked at numerous Hatteras boats from 61-70 and have a couple on our short list, but none possess the style or personality of an older Chris Craft or Burger. If I was in it purely for a mode of transportation with ease of maintainance the hatteras might make more sense, unfortunately buying boats is not a very cerebral proposition. If I had any sense I would not buy a boat at all. But, and here is the kiker I am cursed with the lure of the waves and commonsense and cost be ****ed. So the clorox bottle is not for me, and i will probably end up buying a Roamer or Burger as soon as I can find one worthy of the large check I am willing to write. Thanks for the input.
    Ps: I see you were looking to buy one yourself have you traded camps now?
  4. 9lives

9lives Member

Looking to buy larger Roamer

I would recommend you talk to Jim Wick of LPX sales, as well as Jim Rivas who is very active on the ccccommander site. Jims (Rivas)family owned a few larger roamers as well as I think a Burger, so he can probably speak directly to your issue.
    Mark
  5. jakeh

jakeh New Member

info

thanks for your response, how would I get a hold of these folks?
  6. 9lives

9lives Member

Buying a larger Roamer

finding Jim Wick is easy, try here phone/fax 941 795-0292
    LPX Sales & Service .
    www.chrisparts.com/
    Jim Rivas is a little more difficult. He is a frequent contributer on the Chris Craft Commander website Jim Wick can probably steer you to him!
    Mark Young