Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Delta

Buying my first small motor Yacht.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AckAck, May 27, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Hello everyone. I just moved to Fort Lauderdale and am looking to buy my first boat. I am very green! Something between 30-40’. Kitchen, cabin, bathroom with shower, TV with WiFi is a must. have no idea where to start in terms of who and where to buy from. Do I buy straight from the manufacture, or a retail shop? Any significant discounts off MSRP from either options? So far I have Sunseeker, Princess, and Azimut as my choices. But, I’ve done a quick search and noticed not many Azimut fans here as due to lots of issues, which as a first time owner I do not want to deal with. Any other brands to recommend, I just picked these brands because they had the smaller size motor yachts (34’, 38’ etc.) in reasonable price points. But please school me and let me have it and tell me what brands to stay away from and which to look at! I am blunt and straight forward, so please tell me like it is! Looking to keep the price reasonable but want a high end brand with great warranty support and customer friendly to deal with post sale. Thank you guys, looking forward to the responses!
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Welcome to the insanity.

1: Take lessons . Get sea time. Only experience will let YOU answer questions about what you want. One guys "Best boat ever" is another's "Never buy". Chevy-Ford Rent or join a boating club that will let you get sea time without owning.
    2: Go to boat shows.
    3: www.************** Search for your parameters. If you see boats you like search for reviews, owners forums.
    4: The NEW/USED story is much like the motorhome story. Pros and cons. You buy through dealers (new) or brokers (used) or directly from owners. Search these and other boating pages for the buying process. Contracts, Surveyors (that's marine speak for an inspector/appraiser) insurance.....
    5: Rinse and repeat.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

As a first time boat buyer I would strongly suggest you buy something used, 2 to 4 years old. That will save you hundreds of thousands in depreciation should you decide you got the wrong type of boat. Take a $600k a new... first year depreciation will be at least $60k. By year three probably close to $160/180k

First thing you need to know is how you will use the boat. Now don’t get fooled by the word Yacht so many manufacturers and brokers like to use... a 40 footer is a floating camper with limited space, very small galley (kitchen) etc. if your goal is to just do day cruise around FLL, a nice outboard power center console with a small cabin is probably a better choice. If you re thinking about longer trips, maybe the Bahamas or the keys, you will need something bigger unless you don’t mind roughing it up. Especially your wife...

As to brands I would look at US builders like late model Sea Rays, Tiara etc. boats that are designed and geared for the US market. These tend to have more roomy layout and often more beam which is critical.

Browse thru Yacht World to see what you like.

But again think long and hard about new va used. If you think new boats are trouble free and well back up by builders and dealers... lol. Welcome to boating
  4. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Thank you for your response. This first time boat would be simply for cruising around FLL, Miami, Palm Beach for the day. Maybe a trip to the Bahamas once a year if that, for the experience. But really we want it to be an experience with the family on weekends for the day 4-6 hours onboard (young children and elder grandparents) hence the need for a nice bathroom, cabin, small kitchen etc. Would want this to be as comfortable as possible. (The grandparents hate the sun, so they would sit inside with AC watch TV, take a nap on the bed. The young children making a mess would want food all day so a fridge and kitchen sink and bathroom with shower to clean them off etc is needed.) And of course my dear wife wants to sit comfortably on the bow on a plush soft cushion, look at the ocean and sip wine like all the advertisements show.

Budget is roughly 200-350 including tax etc. Give or take. I know that limits me significantly but I completely agree with letting the first person take the huge depreciation hit.

Thoughts on MarineMax? I see they offer marina slip help, maintenance, service etc all in one. Makes it easy for me as a first timer and a green it seems. But of course being in finance I am a stickler for numbers so it’s all about the best deal possible so using a broker and buying private is also an option, I just want to make this a smooth and simple transaction.

I absolutely understand they aren’t trouble free and after the sale I’m on my own, unfortunately I’m not handy whatsoever so I would be needing help every step and turn (Why I was thinking MarineMax would be helpful? But am I wishing?) Assuming will cost a small fortune for maintenance etc. but that’s the price to pay for enjoyment right?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ok so with your budget New is out of the question so the question about buying direct from
    Manufacturer was pointless.

With a larger group you will need a flybridge boat be an express so the older folks don’t have to be stuck in a cave.

You definitely should get a buyers broker who will assist you with buying process and represent your interests.

I would stay away from marine max unless you want to huge amounts in maintenance etc. their help comes at a steep price. A Neighbor of mine had bought a used 59 Marquis thru them and he spent a lot of money troubleshooting a couple of simple issues without success... took me less than a hour to figure it out ...

I’d look at a 45ish flybridge boat, year will be set by budget or maybe a coupe, like A Tiara which will give you enclosed air con spaces without stairs for kids and elderlies. Hire ire the services of a captain who will teach you how to run and maintain it as well as recommend independent techs who will not charge you $120 an hour just to drive to the boat. With zero experience no underwriter will cover you without training anyway
  6. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Thank you. I did see the new Azimut Atlantis 34’ and Galeon 405 HTS fell within my budget new. But, who knows after all the extras and add ons. Is a generator a must have? Propulsion? What are the must haves on a newerish boat that will make my life easier on water being a newbie? Thank you again.
  7. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Flybridge unfortunately just isn’t of my taste. A small hardtop with sliding roof sport yacht is more what we are looking for.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

The Galeon 405 new boat price is I believe around $500K. The Azimut Atlantis 34 may be closer to your $350K max but I don't know that there is one of either available in North America.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

I agree with looking at late model brokerage Sea Ray, Tiara, and I would add Cruisers to that list.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ok, let's back up. First, you're not looking for a motoryacht. You're looking for a family cruiser. Lots of boats to select from. Sea Ray is the biggest seller in that range of 30-40'. There are many others. As to Marine Max, I wouldn't deal with them if I had a choice, but you may not have a choice, especially if Sea Ray attracts you. Before buying, I would rent a few times. Plenty of rental boats available in South Florida. Do some day cruising. See what kinds of boats you like. Then start thinking of buying.
  11. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Yes, your correct family cruiser, thank you for correcting me. I don’t recall mentioning Sea Ray attracts me. I believe I listed Azimut, Princess, Sunseeker and Galeon as interested options. Sea Ray seems to be on the lower end of boat brands in terms of quality and craftsmanship? Been browsing the pictures, the seating and interior looks cheap. Like the Honda or Toyota of the boating world? Correct me if I’m wrong. Just browsed their website and I can build and buy a boat online. Their website reminds me of Volkswagens website. Very cheap and tacky. Call me a snob but I’d prefer a more higher end boat, albeit my budget may not allow it, I may need to increase it. If I’m out of place please let me know, as I am clearly new to all this. I will give them a shot as I have yet to step foot on one, this is clearly visual from browsing the Internet. I will go in person and step foot on all the available options in South Florida that I can choose from and not just couch surf and make decisions behind a computer screen.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I used the term family cruiser, not so much as defining the boat as it does your use and purpose. You mentioned boat lines without much presence in the size range of 30-40'. You say Sea Ray is like Honda or Toyota. I'd consider that a compliment. They are popular. Far more Sundancers sold than any models in that size range by the other brands you mention. Princess only has one model in your range at 40'. Sunseeker has nothing. I'm talking family cruisers only. Azimut has their Atlantis brand.

Historically, 30-40' has been Sea Ray and Carver. Today you can toss in Beneteau and Mainship and Jeanneau. 30-40' is mass market, not a luxury size range. You build a luxury model in that range and you'll never sell it as it will be beyond the market range, just as it's above your price range. At one time, Grand Banks sold a lot in that range. It's an entry range with entry lines and entry pricing and that's exactly what fits you.

Again, I'd suggest you go rent some boats and get a feel.
  13. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Definitely choose a boat with twin diesel engines and not petrol engines.

The Princess V40 is a very good option and it is now fitted with an electro-hydraulic swim platform which is a great option to have and allows easy and quick launch of a small tender if required. The V40 costs new with all necessary options around USD 450k.

V40.jpg launch of
  14. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Thank you for your response. Can you explain why the preference or twin diesel vs petrol? We definitely will not be using a small tender. But the platform is a must for the kids to jump off the stern. They don’t all come hydraulically lowered with a press of a button?
  15. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Diesel engines offer much more reliability over petrol engines. Diesel engines are generally regarded as more robust in a marine environment. They have a longer life, as the nature of diesel is that it provides an extra degree of lubrication to the engine. This is often regarded as the main advantage. They are also safer than petrol, simply because diesel is less combustible than petrol, and less liable to explode.
    Exhaust gases from petrol engines contain carbon monoxide, which is deadly. Under normal running, with the boat moving along, any fumes may be blown away. However, if the boat is not moving, and a petrol engine is running, then there is a risk that carbon monoxide could be blown back into an enclosed space. If you need a generator on board the vessel which will be necessary for a 40ft boat, my personal opinion is that you should never get a petrol driven one owing to the risk.
    Torque is the moving power of any engine. A diesel engine puts out more torque than a petrol engine. Therefore, the heavier the boat, the stronger the argument for diesel compared to petrol.

The high/low platform is an excellent option to have on any boat. When at anchor it can be lowered just below water level and be used as a beach. Not all boats of that size offer this option.
  16. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Thank you very much for the info! Diesel it is. Absolutely want it to be more safe and definitely do not want to emit carbon monoxide into the boat when idle.
  17. YachtsFanatic

YachtsFanatic New Member

Very rare case of explosion in marine world but this is something to consider. Very well said & I agree.
  18. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

AA, this said with best of intentions: I think you don't know enough -- yet -- to buy a boat. Not to worry, most folks aren't born knowing everything there is to know about boats... and there's nothing unlearn-able (?)... but I think the suggestion about a buyer's broker is on the money. Somebody who can personally walk you through the various boat types, important features and their various pros/cons, etc.... to help you home in on at least your best first guess at "theee boat."

Folks here are obviously happy to help, but in addition to a great resource like this forum... a broker who works for you and who can actually show you nearby boats of various styles would very likely accelerate your learning process by a boatload.

Consider that many of your questions will be about what works to make the boat usable the way you want to use it. Like: Is a generator a must have? Depends... on how you want to use the boat. Extended anchoring, maybe yes. Marina-hopping, maybe no. Swim platforms don't all come hydraulically powered with the press of a button? No, that's usually a (very) expensive option. Diesel versus gas? Big subject, use cases for each, pros and cons for each (and there are bazillions of gas-powered boats out there, safely). And so forth.

Keep questions coming, of course... but consider getting your own guru on the job, too.

The Cruisers Cantius models may fit your picture of a small hardtop with sliding roof. Relatively new, might be used ones within your budget. Might be some other boats that are similar, maybe some SeaRay Sundancer models...

But going with an express-style boat (i.e., non-flybridge) often means much of the living quarters is down below, and some folks dont enjoy living in a cave, so to speak. You'd likely want to be sure your whole family/crew/etc is on board with that idea.

All that said, a couple general thoughts:
    - training will be important
    - a used but well-maintained boat will generally hurt your wallet less and/or allow you more features than a new one

And when you look at boats, it can help to imagine you and your family actually doing specific activities on that particular boat. Changing clothes prior to lights out. Sleeping. Cooking a meal. Eating that meal. Docking (crew training required, too); at fixed docks, at floating docks. Brushing your teeth. Showering. Showering while someone else is using the head. Getting on board. Getting back off, carrying the trash and recyclables. Et cetera.

-Chris
  19. AckAck

AckAck New Member

Chris,

What a fantastic response. Thank you! I went out for the first time today with my dear wife to Marine Max which was local to my home just to browse different brands and get our feet wet. Azimut, Galeon and Seay Ray we walked on. The consistent thing we both agreed upon was a glass enclosed stern with AC and an automatic open hardtop roof for the cockpit. We just didn’t like the open sterns with the “plastic” and zippers to close. It just wouldn’t work for our family. That alone cuts out 99% of pre owned options and mostly leaves with with potentially having to buy a new model since there aren’t many brands that make 30-43’ sport cruisers with glass enclosed sterns said the salesman. The Galeon 425 HTS was almost perfect except the price was quite high. I did notice other Galeon models on their website 31’ and 37’ but was told they aren’t US available? Is that true or just a sales pitch from Marine Max to buy what’s on their lot? I have a lot to learn and educate myself. I’m sure this process will take quite a while. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone!
  20. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Thanks for taking my comments in the way I hoped...

Don't know anything about Galeon, and only that -- from reading, not personal experience -- both Azimut and MarineMax don't have great reps.

In the past, when we've considered SeaRay models, they all seemed like decent production boats... with all the pros and all the cons. Didn't happen to find one that met our needs, but we otherwise didn't rule those out. More recently we've met dock neighbors who have slightly older and some newer Cruisers express boats, and maybe they'd be worth a look. Haven't seen a Cantius model in person, but they get decent write-ups (as would any boat being reviewed in any boat magazine). There may be some other similar brands...

One major issue you need to be aware of is about maintenance... and especially access to systems that will need service, replacement, etc. The more features included in a boat of given length... the more difficult it will likely be to service those systems. Changing a raw water pump impeller, for example, may be a 15-minute job on the workbench, and a 4 hours job inside the boat. And you need to decide who's doing that service. You? Or a "guy" at about $100/hour. And maybe you need to learn what a raw water pump impeller is and what it does, anyway.

If you intend to do your own service and maintenance, you'll need to be plumber, electrician, HVAC tech... et cetera... and maybe yard guy who powerwashes, scrapes, paints hull bottoms and washes and waxes topsides.

If you haven't already, begin your "rules of the road" education here, so you'll be able to safely operate a boat: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=NavRulesAmalgamated.

You'll want to learn how to use charts, too. One way to do that could be to get some apps on your tablet and a copy of NOAA Chart #1 -- a book which has all the key info for navigation charts. I've used MX Mariner, Transas iSailor, and Plan2Nav (now being phased out in favor of Embark, which looks OK too), but there are several out there and if your an iThing person you'll have to explore that yourself. There are bound to be lots of recommendations online somewhere...

And you can find several (softcopy) books on docking from places like Amazon, B&N, Google Play, etc.

I don't think you've mentioned where you are, but if you do maybe some folks here can recommend a buyer's broker in your area... And there are likely safe boating courses in your area offered by the USCG Auxiliary and/or the U.S. Power Squadrons.

-Chris
    Last edited: May 29, 2019