Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Buying in Florida: Coconut Grove, Bay Harbor, Ft Lauderdale

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Feb 21, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Ok it’s 33 degrees in California and we are ready to get a place in SoFl. We aren’t ready to move but like the idea of getting 2 bedroom new construction condo so we can try out the area before investing in a larger home.

I always thought about Ft Lauderdale, but do realize that for boating there is limited places to go anchor where as Biscayne bay has plenty. This will be chill pad for 6-8 weeks a year until we are ready. So we value a more urban environment where we can walk to coffee, restaurants, etc.

Brickell is probably s bit to urban and not sure I want to be surrounded by 26 year old hipsters, but non the less we are under 50 so don’t want a retirement home.

Current thoughts are on Coconut Grove, Bal Harbor/Bay Harbor Islands, Ft Lauderdale near Middle River los olas. What’s the vibe? What’s the best place to fly in, boat, chill, eat, drink at good restaurants without feeling like a tourist?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I used to have a condo on Brickell in the 90s. Sold in 2003 and moved aboard my 53 docked in the grove. It was great back then but the area has changed a lot. Traffic is a nightmare now

I love the Grove. It is close to downtown, right on the bay, easy to access at the end of 95 and 15’ from MIA. Plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Personally I would never live in FTL. I mean... how many time can you go up and down the ICW...
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Based on you parameters, I'm going to suggest downtown Palm Beach. There are several marinas, all located within walking distance to Clematis Street for shopping, restaurants, bars, nightlife, etc. Downtown is only 10 minutes away from Palm Beach International airport. There's a bunch of new high-rise condos (both for sale and rent) along the waterfront that overlook the marinas. Your local cruising grounds have multiple sandbars and waterway restaurants, especially as you go north into Jupiter/Tequesta. The Lake Worth inlet (which isn't IN Lake Worth!), is located about a mile north of downtown. From there, it's a straight shot to West End.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

I'll second that. Spent a lot of time at Palm Harbor Marina and really enjoyed not having to get in the car for dinner. Lot's of places to walk to. I'm looking to buy something also and only considering from Boca and north. I used to enjoy FTL ...not so much anymore.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep.
  6. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I’ve spent a little time there. I worry it might be a bit too fancy and leaning a bit much toward retired folk? I need fire star restaurants and a few dive bars in the same town. Lol. But I need direct flights from SFO.
  7. YachtForums

There's nothing fancy about downtown. It's generally a younger crowd. A few folks with accrued interest live across the intracoastal, but it's not all poodles and Derby hats.
  8. Blake Edward

Blake Edward Guest

Bay Harbor Island, right across from Bal Harbor. There’s new condos with docks. Haulover Inlet is right there. Every quality shop you would ever want are in the Bal Harbor Shoppes. Beautiful people. Oleta River State Park with excellent mountain bike trails is across the intracoastal, or you can ride up via Haulover Park and cross into via 163rd St. Sunny Isles to the north, North Miami to the west. There’s NO “no wake zone” all the way to Government Cut in the Melloy Channel. If you don’t like seeing naked young women by the boatloads, then by all means go north to West Palm PalmBeach which has two railroad tracks downtown with horn blowing trains ALL night long, along with the ensuing traffic when the bridges are up, and the RR gates are down. A Miami six on the scale is a nine up there. Biscayne Bay has a protected shore no matter which way the wind is blowing.Then theres the Cafe Cubano...$1.50 for a colada (enough for five caficitos). Oh, I’ve been passed in Miami while doing 155 mph on the I, so there’s that too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I used to live in Manalapan at Boyton inlet. Lots of dives in Boyton, Lantana and north. If I had my druthers, Martin County county was my fav.
  10. YachtForums

Can't argue with his logic! Welcome to YF, Blake.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Jupiter...…..beautiful water, beautiful parks, still close to palm beach airport, good shopping (Gardens mall), lots of great local down to earth restaurants.
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

Keep that quiet ...it's where I'm looking, lol.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, Palm Beach Gardens Mall. No red neck budget there (Ga$p)..
    I installed about 1/4 of the retail systems in there when it opened late 80s-early 90s. Then serviced those SOBs (Sweet Ole Bears) thru the 90s +.
    The number$ expressed to me in that mall was mind boggling then. Of course, 12 shoe shops can't sell the same shoes cheap in there.
    Frag, I hate malls, this one with a personal passion.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  14. Joe Deepwater

Joe Deepwater Member

Why? We enjoy the Las Olas area. Not familiar with the boating there though.