Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn

Buying a Bertram 28?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by prochefjay, Oct 12, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. prochefjay

prochefjay New Member

I'm considering a 1971 28" Flybridge powered by twin 1991 Inmar 275HP gas engines at 700 hrs. A survey and seatrial will be conducted on what appears to be a boat in good condition, mechanically as well as hull condition and general maintenance.

I'm stepping up from a 25' center console and would like opinions on what else I should be considering regarding this year and model.

Also, I would like some insight on expected fuel burn #'s at 22 knot cruise and 32 knot WOT.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The Bertram 28 is a popular little boat, a standard in the sportfish boat industry. I'm afraid that I do not know the answers to your specific questions. My comment is to be wary of the fiberglass fuel tanks relative to the ethanol issue. If the tanks have not been changed already, consult your surveyor for his suggestions. Good luck with her!
  3. Bert28

Bert28 New Member

I am just finishing up a total restore of a 73 Bertam 28. It will burn around 20 gallons an hour on typical cruise conditions. The fiberglass tank will eventually be a problem since the ethonal will attack the resins in the fiberglass tanks causing gunk in the gas lines and eventually will cause delamination. I installed a custom aluminum tank since I had the boat completely stripped out. This boat rides like a caddy on the water!
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Bert28 is on the money.
    From some old 1976 charts, the Merc 233 engines had the following numbers:

3000 RPM 22 Kts 21 gph
    3500 27 Kts 34 gph
    3900 29.5Kts 40 gph

In a seaway (I'm talking 4-6'), you can drive her like a raceboat: left hand on the wheel, right hand on the throttles, feet planted & braced. You will be amazed at how much ground you can cover (if you want to).