Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck

Buying 2001 Pershing 65

Discussion in 'Pershing Yacht' started by Phil D, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Phil D

Phil D New Member

I'm looking to buy a Pershing I have been in love with these since I seen one in Canada.
    I'm looking for any good or bad things about these. I boat on Lake Erie and I'm having 1 exported. I'm considering a 2001 65 or a 2003 52 either one will work for me. But I do like the bigger one.

Is there anything specific to look at on these boats any known bad or weak areas. The 65 has Cat 3412E with Arnison ASD14's I will be having 2 differant servays done.

Do these boats handle well, built well, quiet, noises, vibrations, etc.

Any thing you got throw at me.

Thank you
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Wiring will be the biggest issue if they aren't dual wired and in that age range I doubt they will be. Why importing? I know there's a shortage in the US but there's a 52 in Fort Lauderdale and a new 62 I think in NJ. I haven't been on those particular models but the Pershings I have been on rode like you'd expect a boat in the niche to ride. It performed well, handled well, although low speed can be a challenge for someone adjusting to surface drives. The only negatives I'd offer is that the bow can pound a bit in certain conditions and surface drives strength is at a decent speed. The propulsion is not efficient until you get them up on plane but then they're great.

I once read that a Pershing is just what a Pershing should be. For instance, it's a distinctly different boat than it's sister, Riva, which a Riva fan might not like as well, but a Pershing fan will greatly appreciate the differences.
  3. Phil D

Phil D New Member

What do you mean (duel wired) as in 220v ?
    There is one in New York asking a little much and interior was redone in brown leather. Not a good look for this boat, the one Florida is asking a bit more than they should for that boat. The other one in Florida is under contract. The 65 that I'm looking at is extremely well taken care of.

Just seeing about quality of boat, stringers, fiberglass work, wiring, etc.
    I've heard there is a learning curve with the driving of surface drives.
    taking trips to lake superior and Lake Michigan and father it would be nice to travel faster than 20-22 kn.

Thank you for the response
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I mean wired to handle 60 hz in addition to 50 hz and 120v also.

You could redo an interior for less than shipping.

The construction quality is generally good. The wiring is variable, largely because many were rewired.

I know that Pershings in Europe outnumber those in the US at least 20 to 1 but it still might be worth searching and waiting for one in the US. Also, don't let what someone is asking disturb you. That doesn't mean you have to pay that or that they necessarily expect that.
  5. Phil D

Phil D New Member

How does the boat hold up to Salt water, any roting interior damage or eroded wiring issues
  6. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Pershing in general are well built boats.
    I have taken care of a few Pershings 54, 37 and at the moment handling a 52 in Europe and I have found them always better to the average European boat. For example dark hull colors as the blue is painted with Awlgrip or similar type paint as against gel-coating. In my experience this stays as new even after 10 years plus if given the correct maintenance. No problems with seawater and all stainless work is as new.
    The 65 was launched in 1997 hull one and upgraded for 1999-2000 and called Limited with the differences being all metal works in stainless steel from aluminium, hard top in fiberglass, a nice patio door, and a different interior layout. I also have been told that the 65 Limited was build with Scrimp vacuum infusion. Pershing went to Scrimp in 1999 - 2000. Off my mind I think it was produced till 2004 and replaced with the 62 which does not ride as good especially to what regards head seas. 62 had a fuller bow.
    The price difference from a Limited to a standard pre 2000 model is usually about double. Also later 65 (after 2000) have a much nicer gelcoat fiberglass finish while the olders 65s I have seen look a bit wavey.
    As the classics of all Pershing the 54, I think the 65 (more so the Limited) is still a lovely looking boat. I think Fulvio de Simoni got close to a 10/10 on looks with this model.
  7. Phil D

Phil D New Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm also considering a very nice 2003 52. A little smaller then what I'm wanting but might just do the trick!

All the years they change a little bit I like the 2001 65 more than the 2003 65
    The 97-98 54 not a fan of but the 99-2001 is nice then in 2004 don't like it again. Just depends what year and model to see if it fits my family and me
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We helped on a rare 90' (27+m) in Jax a few years ago. MTU was the captains #1 complaint. Next, he was Bingo fuel way before he was out of daylight.
    He loved our dive service. Polishing those wild wheels in the water paid for an extra fat knot in speed.

Knot made for a phat asp guy like me to wonder around on.

I would say, anybody over 6' and not real skinny would have a problem. Crew needs to be smaller.
  9. Phil D

Phil D New Member

Are saying there was no room on a 80 foot Pershing. I'm 6'3" 250 and got around a 72' pretty well. I've not been on the 65 or 52. But they appear to have good head room and isle way
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm 6'8"/ 280 lbs. On this 90, was not much room.
    All cast iron in the ER. less in the crew (by way of the ER).
  11. Phil D

Phil D New Member

At 6'8" not to many boats out there do give you a lot extra.lol