Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Buying 1991 46 Silverton

Discussion in 'Silverton Yacht' started by Jim Jones, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jim Jones

Jim Jones New Member

We have a contract to buy a 1991 46 Silverton Motor Yacht does anyone know of anything we need to look for on this model that may be a problem. Detroit 6-71's 800 hours. The boat seems to be well kept on a scale of 1-10 she looks to be a solid 8.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

1991 @ 800 hours? Since MOH? Hours in the last year or two?
    2 strokes need a good survey.
  3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones New Member

I do not think they have had an overhaul. The boat has only had 80 hours put on her since 2002.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Low hours could be good. Real low hours could be bad.

These same thoughts have been argued before on this forum. Do some searches and you can read more on these concerns.

I'm in the opinion that your looking at a non-used boat and really need the OLD oil analyzed before it's changed. AND a complete engine survey completed.

I'm a big 71 fan. They are great engines. Can go thru allot of hours but they were made to run.
    After no use in years, you could go down the river & run forever or you could have problems within a few hours.
    Protect your investment, have them checked out.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

That about covers it.....
  6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones New Member

Diesel Survey

Just had a complete engine survey and everything passed with flying colors!!

The diesel surveyor said the engines and generator were well taken care of and he was impressed with the compression and condition of both. Wow a great day for us.