Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Buy a 57' Constellation?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Dallas Jett, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Dallas Jett

Dallas Jett New Member

Hello, All-

My love for Constellations started as a child with a 46' 1965 Constellation which belonged to a close family friend. I've been around boats for most of my life, but I've never owned anything this large (although I piloted the aforementioned on multiple occasions). I'm entertaining buying a 57 Constellation (I love the lines) in the next 24 or so months. The 46' was scrupulously cared for and wonderful; the questions are : a. Buy the best, b. gas or diesel engines, c. what to look for, and d. what to look out for... any information in in this vein or beyond it is greatly appreciated. The boat will reside in the Sacramento Delta, with perhaps an occasional trip to San Francisco and possibly down the coast of California and back. I'm aware -at least on the face of things- of the time and cost of maintenance.

Best,

Dallas
  2. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Well, I will start and hopefully the experts will add on. As someone on this forum said a 50+ year old boat holds lots of secrets so beware. Getting insurance can be difficult to impossible so get a lead on a company that will insure the vessel, most marinas now require your boat to be insured. Secondly get the best surveyor you can, one that knows wood boats and preferably Connies. I'm aware of one show stopper, the keel on the Connies stop near the end of the command bridge which creates a weak point. The hull actually sags or cracks due to the extra large steel fuel tanks mounted just inside the transom of the vessel. Buy the best you can with diesels and be prepared to pay a lot for maintenance.