Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Busiest FLA boat towing/salvage yard

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by rhinotub, Sep 3, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rhinotub

rhinotub Member

Hi. Anyone have any idea what is the busiest or bravest boat towing/salvage operation in FLA...? TIA.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Florida is a big coastline. What area? My info is old, but Cape Ann used to be very busy in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Sea Tow and Towboat U.S. cover most of the state. Salvage may get you a different answer than towing though.
  3. NEO56

NEO56 Member

NYCAP123 is correct Sea Tow and Towboat U.S. are the two biggest players in Florida, but both have had bad raps down there some time ago, not sure about lately...but they would go out to Tow you in...and then slap a salvage claim on your boat...many hour's and dollars were spent in the courtroom. A lot of boaters became disenchanted with their service. Word to the wise.
  4. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

They would also tie up the VHF by continuously answering bogus calls for radio checks.

Bob
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You get towed and don't pay for it and you get a claim. You better sign up for their programs. They're inexpensive. I have a great deal of respect for them and am glad they're here. And I don't fall for the third hand reports of disgruntled deadbeats who incur large towing bills and won't pay. I've seen the same in other areas. Saw internet postings against a Bahamian tow. It's not cheap. But for $150 a year you can have coverage. Where I see the huge bills too are when they do salvage. Well, if you don't have salvage coverage on your insurance policy you can expect that. Salvage can run into six figures. I saw a salvage of a 25 foot runabout on the lake we were on hit $50,000. But there was fuel spilling from the sinking. Last person I heard screaming against a tow company was still upset the Coast Guard wouldn't tow their boat in for free. They were 40 miles offshore and 8-10' seas. Yes, the Tow company billed for 10 hours as that's what it took and at offshore rates.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

IRG, most of the boats they have repo'd are in a salvage state of affairs! As for boneyards.....just look at the boatyard at Indiantown and Clewiston tons of boats rotting away there. But those yards make a fortune at $7 per foot per month on a thousand boats.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Worst case; Run aground in the feather beds in lower Biscayne Bay. The damages the Fed will put on the owner vs the recovery/salvage to reduce any further damages to the grass beds is unbelievably high and then much more.
    I worked Sea Tow for a while in KB. Had a blast. Made bux. Watched a lot of boats (small, large & very large) suddenly become property of the fed.
    Insurance companies paid us to bag and remove 30' CC's. Half of them deemed as salvage.
    Yep, Paid off my second divorce in 6 months.

The regatta off Elliot key was the most fun. X-rated. All drunk & arrested boats were towed in. I was called back a couple of times to help. Yep, I'm a #%$^%&.

So, to help respond to the OP, South Miami has to be the most busy.