Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Bulbous bow.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Francois, Oct 24, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Francois

Francois New Member

Hi .Can someone please tell me whats the real purpose of these bulbs at the bow of megatachts? Also are the empty for bouyency or is their some weight in it.Some folks told me it was to act as an icebreaker and I did not beleive it.
    Thanks for the great site.

Francois
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

3. Francois

Francois New Member

Kevin thanks for the link,I can now see the way it works .I will seave through it .Some very interesting reading there.

Francois
  4. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

From memory and I do not have access to my textbooks on this subject with me at the moment but the most effective speed of a vessel with a bulbous bow is 0.85 and 0.9 of the hull speed ( Sq root of L.W.L. in feet X 1.38 ) being the theoretical hull speed. So a displacement hull vessel with a waterline length of 100 ft would have a theoretical hull speed of 13.8 knots and if fitted with a bulbous bow ( if the hull is suitable ) at between 11.7 and 12.4 knots she would require 12% to 15% less power than the same hull without the bulbous bow. Not much when you are looking at a smallish vessel but when you start looking at a 400foot ship or larger it gets to be a big saving.

Also Icebreakers do not have bulbous bows, in fact I do not believe that an ice class vessel can have a bulbous bow.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ice Breakers have a definite rtumble home to give a guilotine effect.

I have been told and experienced the vibration at low speed big dispalcement variations of CPP's that lead me to beileve that the heavy duty Ice Breakers rely on displacement tonnage and ****ty machinery balance and alignment to get where trhey are going.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Good editing tool Carl
  7. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

As was noted, icebreakers do not have bulbous bows because they use a method of riding up on top of the ice sheet and use the tonnage weight to crack and break the ice. Sometimes when the going gets tough then will back up and speed up and ram the ice.

On bulbs----Displacement yachts carry bulbs, from my experience, they create a low depression on both sides of the bow that are in contact with the water...allowing the bow to slice through better with 'less' friction. As was alluded to before it can save you some good money on fuel. I think it give good hydrodynamics too...Im not an expert but i think that is some general idea. As for whether they are full solid or hollow.....that is a good question!........However bulbs only work efficiently at certain speeds..they are good wave breakers though.
  8. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

The Bernoulli Principle can be applied to all fluids. This explains how the low pressure is created on either side of the bow, and as water is incompressable a trough would form. However as the vessel moves trought the water this trough is filled with what would have been much of the bow wave, so in effect a smaller bow wave is produced, this carries on and the trough and stern waves are also reduced. Well thats it in a nutshell boffins write really thick text books about this stuff. :D
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Take a look at this bulbous bow from a Benetti. It has what looks like strakes running along it. Wouldn't this prevent the water from riding up and over the bulb? Or is it the opposite, where the water gets "trapped" on top and can't run directly off?
    Capt Tom

Attached Files:

10. Yacht News

I'm not sure but those might very well be formed there on the bulb to help with the channeling of the water around the bulb...again hydrodynamics.....On the new Amevi she has thos same lines on her bulb...Sacrifical Anodes?...but so far up though?
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think you will find these are to reduce the amount of damage done to the coating on the bulb by the Anchor Chains.
  12. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

The anodes on he Amevi are monumental, but theyre not that big:p
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

14. Francois

Francois New Member

You guys are the best.I have learnt so much from you and thanks for the links.

Nice clear picture there Capt Tom.It shows the bulb very well.Thanks.

Francois
  15. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Patrick Bray is a real expert in bulbs up here. He has retro fitted them to existing yachts to improve performance, done numerous tank tests and even incorporated them on hulls of 47' long, so not just for large boats.
    Check his website, I think it's...www.brayyachtdesign.com
  16. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Wow, all questions are answered already...

One that remains: empty or not?
    Very often the bulb is part of the forepeak ballast tank. As it's so far forward, you need less ballast to correct the trim.
    But I can tell you, it's a special experience crawling around in the bulbous bow with the usual 10 cm drab all over the place. Even the disposable head-to-toe boiler suits don't keep all the mud out. :D

On ice breakers: newer models have an ice-breaking stern. They go stern-first when breaking ice. This helps as their azi-pods suck the water out from under the ice. When the ships weight then slides on top, it's easier to break the ice. I guess for light ice, they just go bow first.

I've seen them in action. There is hardly a more impressive sight. In northern Finland you can take "ice-breaker cruises" for those interested in experiencing it. Included in the trip is a swim in a survival suit amidst the ice blocks.

Bruno
  17. Yacht News

A survival suit just extends the life of the person in the chilly waters but you can still die if you stay in it for extended period of time...I wouldn't purposely jump into minus 0 water for the fun of it unless i had absolutely no other choice.
  18. Francois

Francois New Member

Bruno,it must have been something to crawl there and I am sure its a water tight bkh like welded to the structure with the bulb in fore position.Imagine hitting a container at see full speed on the bulb ,that could be a disaster.I guess the thickness must be at least one inch or more.

The ice breaking technic seems good but like yachtluver ,man I dont like cold water :D .With tecnology their must be coming up with diferent ways for the bow to be more efficient when hitting ice.

Thanks and very informative.

Francois
  19. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Gosh, maybe he meant to say 'shifty' :rolleyes:

Francois, in the realm of expedition/trawler vessels under 100 feet or so, the bulb has a greater job in reducing pitching in a head sea rather than any gains in hull efficiency.
    Then, there are those troglodytes who insist that the absence of a bulb, especially on a larger boat, denotes a severe lack of manliness.:cool:
  20. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

troglodytes :confused: :confused: :confused: