Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Delta

Building the World's Largest Supertanker

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Apr 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

...very interesting video presentation

Superships - Launching a Leviathan
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The scale & magnitude of this build is beyond belief. Certainly a modern day engineering marvel, minus a transmission. ;)

Thanks for posting Brian.
  4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Minus a transmission caught my attention as well !! ...not even a neutral gear
  5. Focal

Focal New Member

''But there's one big question, when launch day comes, will this super ship float?''

wtf is that about, of course it will float. It's not like they put some random parts together to see if it will work.
  6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Surprisingly (to me, anyway), direct drive isn't unusual. When transiting the Panama Canal one time, we were told that was the reason yachts have to be in front of big ships. The turbulence from the constant running prop would simply beat up a yacht. Knowing that, then, we had a certain trepidatious outlook on the ship entering the lock behind us.
  7. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

Interesting video. They mentioned the Valdez incident in 1989 as the impetus requiring double hulls. Two of my classmates were in the engine room as young 3rd assistant engineers when that grounding occurred.