Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

Bradford Marine/Brokerage Sales

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Lenny, Feb 3, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Lenny

Lenny Member

Heard that Bradford Marine was sold. Also heard that the new management is not allowing free dockage, for brokerage yachts, until sold. Boat there will need to move or pay dockage starting next week. Is this true? Might just be a rumor and not true.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I would suggest asking them to get an accurate and definitive answer. It may be true or false or may be just something told to one owner who has abused the privilege.
  3. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Is that a common practice, free moorage for brokerage vessels? If so, is the goal that a percent of new owners will stay at that facility?
    I get, from the brokers side, that negotiating free moorage will give them a marketable advantage in obtaining listings.
    What is in it for the marina?
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Has been somewhat common where brokerages and marinas are one and the same. Broker gains advantage in getting listings and that is the purpose. Marina can gain some work in preparing the boat and then maintaining it through the process. Bradford also had the advantage of being undercover.

Then the negative. With dock space in demand, it gets expensive and many owners have really abused it and used it for free storage when their seriousness in selling turned out to be questionable. Time limits become fights with the argument that it's the broker's fault it's still there.

I had a friend who owned a dealership on the lake and did it briefly copying a competitor and he stopped it very quickly.
  5. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Sort of what I was thinking. There seem to be way to many owners who would take advantage of this by listing with no intention of selling in order to get free moorage.
    I think, if the marina were to do this for brokerage boats, they should investigate the seriousness of the sale. Anyone can list a boat with an inflated, I'll sell if someone comes along and pays way over market, price.

Another benefit to the marina may be foot traffic. Brokerage open houses and showings do create traffic. So if the marina can sell some coffee or rent a SUP to the foot traffic and make the environment something desirable to potential buyers there may be some up side. Especially, as you say, if the marina is not at capacity.
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Bradford announced its sale at the beginning of January. The old management discontinued the free dockage in October. They grandfathered in some boats, but I understand that is being terminated in a few weeks.

Judy