Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Bottom Job on the Dockwise

Discussion in 'Yacht Transport Ships' started by Deckie123, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Deckie123

Deckie123 New Member

I'm expecting to make an Atlantic crossing on the dockwise along with a very green deckhand. The plan is to put a new coat of bottom paint on the boat while we steam. Some advice would be greatly appreciated to make this go as smooth as possible.

- Would I need to tent off the bottom for sanding the orignal coat for adhesion? Or would Orbital sanders with vacuum attachments do a good enough job? (remember +-50m boat for 2 crew)

- Easiest way to clean the surface (pre and post sanding) for the new coat?

- Good tape for the top edge? Was thinking the classic 2 inch blue tape?

Any other advice/tips of common mistakes etc will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Re: tape, I've been liking the Frog tape lately. It gives a very clean line.
    Re: the rest, You'd be best to ask Dockwise about it. I'd be surprised if they permit it as there are pesticide issues, as well as the risk to other vessels on board (I'd be pretty ticked to find my boat covered with bottom paint dust).
  3. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

Deckie,
    When do you expect to make crossing?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sand it with an orbital and like 80 grit sandpaper. You don't need to tent it for adherance or anything else. I like the green 3m tape, or the frog tape I've heard good things about also.......the blue doesn't adhere well, or stay on for too long before leaving a residue.....especially in a wet environment like on a ship.

However, I HIGHLY doubt dockwise is going to allow you to bottom paint a boat on their ship, while at sea. I don't think they are going to want to explain to the owners of all of the boats around you, why they have bottom paint dust adhered to their topsides. Do you think it's going to be calm enough for you to actually sand and paint a bottom?

I doubt it. If it's a 50m yacht, tell the owner to take it to a proper yard and have it done properly.
  5. Deckie123

Deckie123 New Member

At this point its just in talks mostly.. So not definitive. But within the next 2 months. Just want to do some background research before hand
  6. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Yeah, don't take a very green deckhand. Find out from DYT how long the crossing is, as it could take several weeks. For a greeny this could be the cruise from he!! if he/she gets queezy. DYT will let you do some maintenance on the yacht and I think I have seen some with newly painted bottoms when they got to Ft Lauderdale. Also check with them on how many can cruise with the yacht.
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Seems like I read a story about a crew painting their boats bottom while crossing not to long ago somewhere.

If sanding on board is an issue and depending on the condition of the bottom, perhaps you and a team of divers could prep the bottom before it gets hauled. And then just wash it and let it dry before painting.
  8. Deckie123

Deckie123 New Member

Taking the boat out the water is the obvious choice but I'm going to blame it on a lack of time. Prepping while still in the water is a good idea.

With regards to the green deckhand, I wouldn't have much say. Will have to play it by ear. Thanks for the advice on the sanders, grit and frog tape. Much appreciated.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Underwater, 3m scrubby pads are your friend. The brown one would probably be the one to use.
  10. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

I checked Dockwise FAQ to see if you could do work while underway shipping: