Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Boston Whaler Tenders

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by BIG AL, Jan 15, 2009.

1. BIG AL

BIG AL Guest

It seems that a lot of new yachts are using Boston whalers as tenders lately. The last few tranports I have picked up have been whalers and delivered across the country for mega yachts . I imagine maybe due to the non sinking theme.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Big Al,

Please read the Forum Guidelines and note that we have ZERO tolerance to self promotional posts. Thus, I've edited your contact info out of your post.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whalers have long been a staple in the dink market, but in recent years more people have been going to RIBs as they are easier to launch and retrieve. Once the tenders get over 20' or so the market is wide open. BTW, all runabouts have positive floatation these days.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Virtually predictable. When he signed up, I just knew he was here to spam YF, but I gave him the be benefit of the doubt and approved his membership.

Contrary to the claim... I can't recall Whalers piggy-backing any new launches in recent years. What had been the defacto standard of the 70's & 80's has long since been replaced by blow-up boats.

While unsinkable, the cathedral hull has seen better days. Although we still have have a BW-15 in the fold, it's aging Rude was replaced by Merc 90 last year. Wish I had that power when I was a kid!

Big Al... your membership is being removed. There are multiple warnings in YF's registration process about promotion. As Kevin said, we take zero-tolerance approach to this conduct.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Attack......Attack..... Attac.........The Spammer :D
  6. NoLimit

NoLimit New Member

I realize the member was removed, I would like to add to this thread. I believe that a Palmer Johnson 123 "MUSE" has a Boston Whaler as a toy as well. It's name is "AMUSE". I noticed this over the summer at the Jamestown Marina in Rhode Island. A friend of mine goes fishing on it every now and then.
  7. dockboy93

dockboy93 New Member

I have a 15 foot Montauk and Love It. This summer we had to take in off of the dock because of a bad nor'easter and moved it in 8 foot seas. Though kind of scary the boat performed perfectly never slamming or shuttering once. Bravo Boston Whaler.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whalers are good boats and I'm sure it would make it back from 8' seas, but you wouldn't still be attached to it. Anybody who would take you out in that would belong in jail. Me thinks you exagerate a bit.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Me thinks you exagerate a bit."

Yeah, me too. That's Zodiac weather for sure. :cool:
  10. dockboy93

dockboy93 New Member

Ok mabeu they were only 6 footers with the ocasional 8 and the only reason we went out was because if we did not move the boat we would risk having the boat slam into the dock and put another hole in the side ( yes it happened before). Word from the wise if you have a choice don't built a dock facing northeast :)
  11. Andytk5

Andytk5 New Member

I saw you mentioned your BW -15 with a 90! Is this the GLS style, basically an open 15 with a side console on the starboard side?
  12. YachtForums

Same layout. But weren't they all?
  13. Andytk5

Andytk5 New Member

Mostly, I believe there were some center console layouts and of course just tiller style models. I think I will start looking for an older 15' soon. That was my favorite as a kid, of course I was riding up and down the canals of Ft. Laud as a kid in a zodiac with a 15 jumping the water taxi waves, a friend had a 70 on his 15 and it f was quick, I bet the 90 will chine walk!
  14. YachtForums

Cathedral hulls don't chine walk. But it is a squirrely boat with a 90. Just the way I like it.
  15. Andytk5

Andytk5 New Member

Ah, good to know. Yeah, I hear that. Too much power is just enough. Too little is dangerous.
  16. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

This seems like the most appropriate thread, barring starting a new one.

Under the topic of reliving youth, I just agreed to buy a 1987 17' Montauk with a 2005 Yamaha 90 2-stroke from a relative in southern Maryland. The price was right so I couldn't say no.

I haven't run this particular boat since long before its repower, when it had a 70hp OMC on it, and it was plenty fun running around from St. Jerome's Creek to Solomons MD. My primary use will be in the Hudson River, mostly playing but sometimes fishing. I've been on various Whaler forums, listening to the Whaler choir sing, but I figured I'd ask around here... anyone have any recent experience with this boat? Experience with Yamaha 2 strokes? Is it worth it to get a transom jack plate and set the engine back 6"?
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You of course know that you now own one of the best boats ever built (although a kidney belt is not a bad idea;) ) I've never seen anyone drop the motor back on one of these, and I'd be hesitant before first seeing how she handles that new hp.
  18. Andytk5

Andytk5 New Member

Awesome, I am jealous!
  19. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I know that I do, and it's causing deep angst. I was originally going to buy it to flip it, but my 74 year old uncle is so enthusiastic about the boat staying in the family that I am having serious reservations about making the quick buck. It has been maintained but not launched for the last 4 years (about 2 hours of use after the repower). He's putting new batteries in it, new tires on the trailer, new VHF antenna, and a couple of other items of cautious concern from sitting on the hard for so long.

Lots of people on sites like Continuous Wave have espoused the transom plates for the heavier 4-strokes, claiming that their Whaler rides softer with it - HA! You're right, obviously, to run it and decide for myself - but this being a knowledgeable group, it doesn't hurt to seek considered and experienced opinion.

This will be "my" first Whaler since the 11' we sold in the late 70's to get an 18' Aquasport. Amazing how these little toys bring out the inner child. :D
  20. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Thanks! It's like being 6 years old on Christmas morning. :eek: