Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

Boating Mishaps & Blunders

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Oct 29, 2003.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Do you have a funny story? A boating blunder? You're not alone! We'd like to hear about it and maybe... save another boater form the same mistake!:(
  2. Just last Saturday my father asked for a bit of help launching his speed boat from the local ramp. I was to go with him and then drive his vehicle back home once the boat was in the water. The morning started off with myself backing up the truck only to hear my father yell, "HEY!! What did you do with the receiver?" My reply was "Nothing, it's in the hitch where you left it." Unfortunately, it wasn't. It just so happened that one of my nice neighbors must have thought the hitch would go much better on his/her truck and helped themselves to it. So, 40 some odd dollars later we were back at it. Once the trailer was hooked up to the truck we started to pull away. Oddly, the truck was revving quite high for what is normally an easy pull. A quick look back at the trailer revealed not one, but TWO flat tires. Back to West Marine for us. Our third attempt at removing the boat from the yard proved successful. At the ramp we prepped the boat and started to slide her in. Then it dawned on me...."Hey dad, did you remember the plug?" Back out she came. Upon exiting the truck my father remembered to hook up a bowline to make releasing easier for him. Round two on the ramp and all goes smoothley. While I was holding the boat to the dock, my old man parked the vehicle. Just as I was getting ready to hand off the bowline I noticed the rear end of the boat was unusualy low in the water.......and why was there a slick trailing from the stern?? "Hey dad, I don't remember seeing you put that plug in." Yep, in our hurry to put the plug in we never put the plug in, just tied up the bowline. At that point we just took her out and headed home. It was just not meant to be. Just one of those days.....
  3. YachtForums

We've all had days like that. Don't feel bad, you're not the first or the last to forget a drain plug! It was probably a good idea to pack up and go home... when that many things go "worng", I usually take it as a "sign".

Good post! Makes me feel mortal when I read others making the same mistakes I've made.
  4. Capt. Riccelli

Capt. Riccelli New Member

Some years ago I lived in St. Pete, a wonderful home on the bay. The wife liked it because it was close to work, I liked it 'cause it had two slips in the front yard and being near the south end of the city I could stay in the bay or head out into the gulf quickly with no bridges to worry about.

This home was a half a block from a public ramp, my property butted the park this ramp was in. Once a month, on average, a car would pull up with a brand new wave basher of some sort, that their second mortgage could afford and splash her. With very few exceptions most didn't know there was a plug, let alone where to put it or if one came with the boat.

After asking too much from my van on a few occasions, I picked up a big 4x4 for the sole reason that I'd need to pull someone's soaked boat, trailer and weak knee 4 cyl. Mustang up the ramp so I could have my daily putt around the cove, before she yelled about dinner.

I usually read the wife of the not talking much husband the riot act about how easy it is to get hurt in an environment not natural to humans. Then in a softer tone I'd suggest a Power Sqn. course so the husband could save face and learn what a plug is and where to put it, rather then the orifice I'd like to have seen it shoved up . . .

Don't feel too bad, I've done it, though it's been 30 years since the last lesson.
  5. YachtForums

A while back, we cruised up to Shooters for lunch and lost pressure in the steering helm due to an air leak. Not a big deal with twin screws, just had to vary the throttles for directional control.

Once docked, the dockhands got a call that a larger yacht was coming in and they needed to move us and a couple of other boats to another position. We threw lines, maneuvered to the middle of the intracoastal to hold while a space was made to accomodate us... then we lost one engine.

The space available was 75 feet long and our boat is 72 feet in length. There were three sport-fish yachts rafted up in front of us and two express cruisers rafted together in the rear of this space. Suffice to say, this would be a difficult maneuver with both engines running and a bow thruster. We had neither one of these luxuries, as our boat was built long before bow-thrusters.

On our first and only chance, with one engine and no steering, we managed to get this 72' boat into a 75' space with the bow overhanging the fighting chair of a sport-fish in front of us and an express cruiser's bow anchor dangling inches from our transom.

Kudo's to my brother for pulling this maneuver off. He always said "I'd rather be lucky, than good". ;)
  6. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Crossed wires?

Not on my boat! :rolleyes:

Attached Files: