Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Delta

Boat type to explore Kornati islands, Croatia

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by AdelGilo, Sep 1, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AdelGilo

AdelGilo New Member

Hello guys I'm new in this forum, my cousins and I usually go sailing in the Red Sea and wanted to try something new- we just recently sold a 60ft motor yacht at a price well over $ 700,000.
    Basically a large community here in Egypt is investing in property and yachts in Croatia and Greece. Our group wanted to buy a yacht or several speedboats so that we can have to ourselves a few days in the summer and have a skipper run it throughout the year to provide it for charter to tourists who explore the Kornati islands.

We are not so familiar of which boat type is the best, i have seen many charter companies having all sorts of yachts that go into Kornati from the Port of Zadar, Makarska or Tisno in Croatia... does anyone know if it is a good idea to buy a motor yacht, a sailing yacht, a catamaran, several speedboats or even to avoid buying a yacht there in the first place and simply rent out one every year..? what is the best boat type for this waters> we are aware that they are uninhabited islands but are not fully aware of what would add up to a more efficient fuel cost and cruising experience in general..
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First thing to consider is whether you're looking to make money, have a boat pay for itself or give you a write off. Next look at what's chartering in the area. You want something a little bigger and better but you don't want to totally buck the norm. You'd do well to have conversations with a few local charter brokers to get a feel for the market in that area. Keep in mind that the easiest way to have a million dollars in the boating business is to start with 3 million.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I cruised the Croatian islands for 10 years, including (obviously) the Kornati archipelago, but I would struggle to suggest a type of boat better suited for those cruising grounds.
    I mean, it's an area where sailboats are very popular, and for good reasons, because you can find almost everywhere stretches of sea sheltered by islands also when it's windy. But if you are as lazy as I am, you will equally enjoy the area with a fast open boat, or with a trawler, or with a flybridge planing boat (which is what I did, over the years).
    Oh, and I'm sure that a catamaran would be fine as well, even if that's one boat type I don't like, hence never tried in Croatia.
    Bottom line, I'd chose the boat type just based on personal preferences, because I can't think of any particular restrictions to consider (like for instance shallow draft for the Bahamas) for the Kornati - and for the whole Croatian coastline as well.

And of course, also the considerations about fuel efficiency are the same as anywhere else.
    With my 53' trawler, I used to spend up to a full month cruising around the island without ever needing to look for a filling station, as I had to do every few days with faster boats, instead.
    But again, being in the Kornati or in any other area doesn't make any difference, in this respect.
    Fuel is not hard to find anywhere in Croatia, anyhow - also in the larger islands.
    I mean, not in any of the Kornati islands obviously, but Murter is at less than 10 Nm, just to name the closest among many other places along the mainland coast.