Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Boat recommendation for next 2 years

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by craigsduc, Mar 8, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

My wife wants to upgrade from the Pursuit 3370 we own......which we bought simply to hold us over until we figured out what we wanted to do. She is actually interested in a live aboard for a couple of years. Contract here in N Florida for 2 more years and not overly interested in buying a home here as we do not plan on staying once contract up. Not saying we wouldn't buy a reasonable priced home and a 40-45 ft SF or Express to fill the boating needs, but she really wants to consider buying a live aboard instead. We both love the water...and always have...always will. I know there are boats out there that will cost less to own for a couple of years than others....that we could live on and cruise around on....and thought of putting the question out there boats we should truly consider. Some boats out there are cheap for sure...and were incredible in their day...but concerned they would prove hard if not almost impossible to sell in a couple of years when we want to move on.... Willing to spend more and take out a loan to buy a much nicer/newer boat that would be more desireable by buyers when we elect to sell. Cost to own could actually be less on a newer/nicer more expensive boat IMO......

Thinking pilothouse but have always wanted a SF too. Price range up to $600K with $150K to $250K down. Thought about an older restored or updated Merrit, Rybovich, etc that have followings too. Ease to sell important which seems to rule out old 55+ SF boats with Detroits.......although there are a few very nice examples out there..... Hatteras or Bertram CPMYs OAs? Burgers?..... is there a mark that simply would be easy to sell due to demand?

I have owned boats my entire life and know/understand there is a cost to own any boat......but owning a boat in this league is new and I know there are some boats that simply are less expensive to own and easier to sell someday..... Doing this is on our bucket list and I feel while we are still earning good livings, it may be a decent time to own the bigger boat.....and perhaps live on it while temporarily here in N Florida. We have a 9 year old daughter that loves the ocean as we do......and is well aware there are families out there that lived on a boat at some point in their life and wouldn't change a thing.........Thoughts?

Thoughts, recommendations.
  2. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

You and your wife will first need to get some focus on what you will be comfortable with, must-haves, nice-to-haves etc. Go on a bunch of boats together, visualize the boat both purely as a house, and as a cruising boat that the two of you are underway in or docking. One of the best maxims in boating, especially for what you seem to envision, is "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat You are comfortable in.
    Very personal decision.
  3. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Have patience and save your money to spend on your grandchildren.

Before you know it, your daughter will have her own boat and you and the wife will be able to spend some down time on it.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Here's what you've really got to figure....How you're going to live on it. Do you want an aft deck that is up high and you have a nice view while you're eating dinner, or do you mind sitting in a SF cockpit and staring at the boards on the dock. Do you need a nice FB to hang out on, get away from each other on, or etc.......Is barbeque'ing important, cooking? Galley Size? What size range are you looking at? A Merritt is no easier to sell than an old Bertram with Detroits......price moves everything, regardless of what it is and what condition it is. If you buy it right, you can sell it right. A custom SF will generally need to be kept in Palm Beach condition always to sell and is more labor intensive to keep that way......What size range?
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What I'm concentrating on is the 'couple of years' part. That can easily cost you 50K or more at resale, although I personally think today's prices will offset some depreciation as prices rise. The only way to avoid depreciation is to get an older boat. A 20 year old boat won't be worth less at 22 years. The big question is what kind of cruising you plan to do. For living aboard you'll want space, especial
    lly with a 9 year old. Unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the cockpit the SF have the least amount of space except maybe an express. They also generally involve a ladder to the bridge.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For a motoryacht a 53' Hatteras MY or similar would be a good choice as a live-aboard.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just what I was thinking, but again it depends on what they mean by cruising. If it's traveling around the country; yes, but if he talking about scooting down to Miami for lunch or over to the Bahamas for the weekend maybe not.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It would be tough to go wrong with a Hatteras. Look at a 1991 to 1998 Hatteras 52 Cockpit MY. If you can stand the exterior profile - IMHO they are a great liveaboard. Huge aft deck, cockpit, 2 centerline berth staterooms + a bunk room if so equipped. It's a manageable size and pretty easy to re sell when you're done.