Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

boat interior design

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by grahampace, Mar 17, 2006.

1. grahampace

grahampace New Member

any idea how much it costs to get a designer to re-design the interior of a 38m super yacht. kindly email me.. this job is urgent
  2. Ronald3065

Ronald3065 New Member

It depends how much has to be redesigned, how much work has to be done. A friend of mine, an interior decorator, is in Malta at the moment for a short vacation, may be you can get together and discuss the matter. I will be happy to put you into contact.

Ronald de Jong, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
  3. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

You bring up an important issue

All up, I see the position you find yourself in, but I have a hard time dealing with the universiality of your issue. Malta ain't Memphis. Sydney ain't Stockholm. 'Style' is what we live for in the completness of a 'design.' Why should anyone race into this, wherever they live?

I was about to start my own thread on this topic, but I had better deal with yours first. In short, you, and only your family knows for sure what turns you on. Everything begins with a materials selection process, especially as the spaces contract. What some designers call cozy, others would detest as clostrophobic.

At the end of the period where you can firmly declare: "This is what I/we want." It is written up as the project 'program.' From there, I can realize your vision through a process of deterministic; 'what-ifs.'

What if the ceiling is pale blue? What if the sidewells are ice buckets? What if the lights point upward?

But, in boats, I suppose the biggest issue would be: what absolutely needs to be custom fitted and what can be refurbished as good as new? (ie: time is money.)
  4. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

That is huge!

I spent this past year working for a residential desigher that could have enormous flair for all this, with some direction. We did a place called the Monkey house, as the theme is rather like a gambling room in old Havana, with a bit of foolishness and monkey business everywhere you looked. No doubt, she would be in high demand in Ft. Lauderdale, but this was a 5,000 sq ft home on Moon Lake for the price of a condo on the coast. ($1.2M)

That her type of skills are so eroneously applied on boats amazes me too.

What we are dealing in is not a home at sea. And yet, there is an obvious need for some of these elements to establish exactly that 'home-like' feel.

There seem to be no less than two other skill sets required for any boat design to be completly successful, as I see it. Obviously experience helps, but it too is no guarantee. Not if you want both high style and taste with full-tuck functionality. At the helm, you can certainly establish a strikingly unique array of tasteful features, and like a show-house, the crew's quarters don't have to be that complete.

I only do systems integration, and with as much fancy face-value as the clients will let me do. I suppose someone in your position needs simply contact a friend who has been down a similar avenue. I am only into clean, non traditional, International styles and I detest the English Tea room crowd. That is, until I see someone offer something like this in the mix, and then the entire gameplan resounds accordingly. In fact, it's the woodworkers I would consult with first, then the fabric coordinating, lighting and color persons. Mind you, your exact floor and deck color is the most critical stage of space defining emphasis.