Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Boat Boarding - adding a side door

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by jhall767, Nov 4, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

I have a 1999 symbol 558. We really like the boat but the one thing it lacks for us is a side boarding door. It seems they added this in 2002 or 2003 but it doesn't seem practical to buy a new(er) boat just for the boarding door. I'm sure it can be added but I need to find a yard that can handle a job like this. We're on the Chesapeake and that area would be preferable in the off season up here. We are usually in Florida for the winter but not this year.

Can anybody recommend a yard for this type of work? Anybody have it done and what was the general cost?

We do have a ladder and boarding steps but our finger pier is only 2' wide and is shared with another boat so there is no way to use the stairs.

Thanks

John
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

You might inquire at Hartge's Yacht Yard in Galesville (West River).

I've also seen many recommendations for Bert Jabins, on Back Creek in Annapolis.

-Chris
  3. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I've heard Worton Creek might be able to handle a job like this but I also heard they changed hands and are not the same as before.

John
  4. CWV

CWV Member

I don’t know that this is correct but do PM me before seriously considering or going this route.
  5. Hpozzuoli

Hpozzuoli New Member

Use Worton Creek. They rebuilt that Spencer the idiot captain took over the rocks in PR. It’s still owned by the same family as far as I know.

I don’t do exterior work except wood. We are not set up for fiberglass or paint.