Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Blueprint Turbos on Man 820s

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mikewheels, Mar 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mikewheels

mikewheels New Member

I have 12 year old Man 820s which have not yet been serviced. With 1100 hours I will have the intercoolers pulled and flushed and the injectors retipped and valves adjusted and the turbos blueprinted. I am told the turbos will spool up quicker. Does anyone have experiance with getting the turbos blueprinted?
  2. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

One of the first things diesel engine "hot rodders" will do to tweak performance. In my experience I've seen an increase in performance about 70% of the time on new turbos and 90% on rebuilt ones. Blueprinting only brings them up to design specs and that will only help if they were "loose" to begin with. It isn't cheap to do but some folks will spend a lot of money to eek out every possible horsepower.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

MAN has a scheule of service items for the 1000 hour check. You may want to look at that. I suppose anything can be blueprinted, but I would expect a MAN turbo to be constructed to pretty high tolerances. Mine have been spinning fine since 1998.
  4. mikewheels

mikewheels New Member

Man turbos

At what rpm should you hear the turbos spooling up? I hear mine at 1500 rpm.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on hull design and load factors at the different rpm points.
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Mine start at 1400 rpm.