Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Westport

Blower vents

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by Saf66, Apr 29, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Saf66

Saf66 New Member

1F5997B4-7450-4B9C-AF6F-A45B4C4C8C37.jpeg Hi
    I have a 2005 Luhrs hardtop and trying to locate source of water in bilge when it rains. Have looked at many other hardtops and opens around the same years and none have these three vents for the blower motor vents. Have one on each side. Would think there should be louvers over these. Anyone else have this boat and what do yours look like. Thanks in advance.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When mfgs use these designs, there is a water collector or drip pan on the inside of those vents. From there, pending the quality of design, these water collectors drain overboard. Less qualty installs drain into the bulge. Bugs and debris can clog this drain. Now the collector can overfill and flow anywhere.
    Do you have any info in your ships manual? Do you have any access the the back side of these vents?
    Knowing the brand,,, Your design may just drain into the bilge.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I had a problem on our hull skin bilge vents. Some SFB decided to place them below the deck run off reliefs. Yes, our bilges collected rain and boat wash run off. I installed port light protectors, zero issues now. Give me a few and I'll take a pic and update my post.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Excuse the mess, not washed in a while but you can see the cover keeps most run off from going in the vents.
    I forget the company name. Been on with adhesive tape for about 3 years now.
    20220429_183511a.jpg
  5. Saf66

Saf66 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, from inside engine room all I can see are where the hoses connect to the hull. The box per se is molded in as part of hull. Can’t see any drains in that area. I will take a picture and post what I see. Maybe I’ll disconnect blower hose and put camera in to look around inside for a drain. Definitely will put some form of louver on the outside. Weird that other same model boats, same year don’t have them. Here is the same boat and you can see they aren’t there. 4B035278-41D4-4EFC-B33B-52F3240B92F4.jpeg
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your pic and pics of other boats; Same engines?
  7. Saf66

Saf66 New Member

Not sure about that. I have gas, maybe diesels wouldn’t have those. Looked at quite a few pictures and no others did.