Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Binocular suggestions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Nov 11, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

A friend's wife just called and asked for a suggestion on binoculars with stabilization. I have been looking online but am lost with all the choices.
    They are average boaters & aren't traveling the seven seas but she wants to give her husband a nice pair.

So, what's a good mid/upper range (not a crazy top of the line $5000 pair) with stabilization?

Thanks!
    David
  2. Lenny

Lenny Member

NOT stabilized but more than you will ever need. The finest and mid price.
    Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX. Try Baker Marine in San Diego. They not only sell them they fix all types for the US Navy!!! I have NO financial interest of any type in Baker. I have used them many times for sales and service and highly recommended.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I've been very happy with my Fujinon 14x40 stabilized binocs. Just don't leave the batteries in for extended periods of time.
  4. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

If you are fishing go stabilized, I have only used Fujinon and they work great.
  5. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My Nikon StabilEyes Water Proof 14x40 4 degree binoculars are amazing. They are 5 years old and still amaze me every time I use them.
  6. dainisk

dainisk Member

I purchased Canon 12X36IS as a compromise between power and size and cost. I looked at higher power, but they become physically much larger and heavier. 12 power seems a good compromise. Runs on 2AA batteries and because you use stabilisation only for a moment (only when you press the button), the batteries last a long time. The binocs not particularly waterproof, but have taken them travelling to the poles (on small cruise ships) and they have survived well.
  7. jayjay

jayjay New Member

Pentax 8x32.jpg I bought my Pentax mid size DCF SP 8x32 binos
    for birding, but moved them to the boat.
    Could not be happier !!

Remember..... Size matters.
    The Fujinons are 53 ounces.
    Compare that to my 22 ounce Pentax.

At 8 x 32, you really don't need IS. The image is very steady.

My Pentax were $600, but Discontinued.
    You can find them for $300.
    ED model also is good, but more expensive.
    Check Google for lots of good reviews.

SPECS for Pentax DCF SP 8x32
    Fog proof nitrogen-filled magnesium-alloy waterproof body (JIS Class 6)
    Protected with a full-body rubber housing. Long eye relief and lightweight design
    Prism Type Roof, Angle of View 7.5°, Field-of-View (@ 1000 Yds) 394'
    Minimum Focus Distance 6.6' (2.0 m), Exit Pupil Diameter 4.0mm, Eye Relief 17mm
    Relative Brightness 16.0, Twilight Factor 16.0, Focus Type Center, Tripod Socket Yes
    Dimensions 5.0 x 5.0 x 2.0" (127 x 126 x 52mm) WxHxD,
    Weight 22oz (670 g)
  8. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

with every one on board looking for or moving the 2 good pair of glasses , I went and spent $1oo of the bosses money for 5 pair of $20 Bushnells.........the good pairs got old sitting in a draw ..
  9. Lenny

Lenny Member

I mentioned the Fujinon above. What I did not mention is that I designed the lenses for them. My patent has long ago run out, so I have no financial reward. I will not bore you with the details of lens design. The Fujinon that sell for about $500 today, machine made lens ,used to cost $2,000, 30 years ago, when the lenses were hand ground. There is a tremendous difference in quality and your ability to see an object. If you spend $20 on a pair then you have a $20 pair. Impossible to grind any lens at that price point. Just go to your shop that sells binoculars or borrow your friends. Look at a distant object. See if it looks clear and distinct. If you can have a few different price point glasses to compare, the difference is amazing. There is a reason the US Navy uses Fujinon.
  10. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Old-ish thread but...

The Fujinon Techno-Stabi 14x40 provides plus/minus 5° stabilization. (As will their much more expensive models.)

Nikon's "sister" model is apparently no longer offered.

Fuji is in the process of introducing a 12x28 model with plus/minus 3° stabilization. About half as expensive, and described as lightweight and compact, and it happens to offer longer eye relief than the 14x40s.

The Canon models are apparently mostly plus/minus 1° stabilization.

-Chris
  11. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I have the Fuji on glasses too, bough about 10 years ago after searching eBay for over a year for a good deal. After using them, I realized I should have bought earlier. They are worth it. The better stabilization vs the canon is significant, and required in rougher seas.
    Prior these, I could rarely find a marker in rough and overcast positions. With them, no problem. Huge difference to me.
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Fujinon Techno - Stabi

Once you have them, it’s very hard to live without them.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If I was reading these reviews on Amazon or any retail website offering reviews, I wouldn't trust them. Maybe I'm skeptical, but I don't know anyone that returns to a retailer's website to write a review, unless they are unhappy with their purchase. With forums propagated by frequent contributing users, I feel like I can trust the opinions expressed. If it's inaccurate, the rest of the community will correct it.

Thanks to everyone who just made the binocular buying decision a lot easier for the rest of us!