Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

Bimini’s powerplant engulfed in flames

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt J, May 27, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Bimini’s entire power plant is totally engulfed in flames right now. The entire island is without power except for the Hilton which is running on its own generators. It will most likely be months before power is restored to the island
  2. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

OMG, they won't have power for a year at least while they rebuild. I'm sure big generators will be sent to take care of the tourist areas but the locals will be without for a long, long time
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Funding will be the issue as it's not really a very large power plant, only 15.4 MW. That is at the lower end of sizing for industrial power plants and very much in the capacity range of industrial generators. I have no idea what kind of equipment they had. I can easily picture a renewed battle between the people of the island and Resorts World too, which was strongly opposed by the locals as was Bimini Bay.
  4. olderboater

5. olderboater

Correcting my comment on article.
  6. olderboater

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well yes and no. The two generators that were destroyed produced 8.8 MW, which is half of their total power generating capacity. They were Bimini's main generators. But the remaining 5 generators are comprised of 3 CAT portable tractor trailer generators and 2 old generators that the newer ones were installed to replace.