Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

BilgeMonitor - Video Bilge Monitor & Alarm System

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by rickcurtis, Jun 24, 2004.

1. rickcurtis

rickcurtis New Member

Take a look at the system designed to monitor the bilge and engine room while the vessel is underway, or at the dock. Small, unique, sensors detect water leak from any hose or fitting at the time the leak starts. Video monitoring of engine room and bilge from the helm with 5.6" Flat Panel Monitor or on existing 10" Furuno NavNet Display from waterproof, infrared, color cameras. Provides clear wide-angle views of engine room in total darkness.

http://www.bilgemonitor.com

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Rick!

Looks like you've got another product that will be a winner! I like the idea of an infrared camera. This should allow a viewer/captain/engineer to keep an eye on "hot-spots" when the engine room lights are turned off. Good idea!

Haven't seen you for awhile. I'm sure the success of your Voice Alarm has kept you busy. Anyhow, nice to see you onboard...

Carl
  3. rickcurtis

rickcurtis New Member

Hi Carl,

We've been providing this system for yachts for some time, but on a custom basis without defining an actual product. Our design was featured in a California Yachting Magazine, so we decided to offer it as a "product" and "system". The video monitoring of the engine room and bilge isn't new, but we believe that doing it with InfraRed cameras is new (as far as we know). One boat builder offers a helm viewable engine room camera as a several thousand dollar option. We figured that profit margin was a little high and are actually using much better equipment and providing a helm mountable display for those yachts that don't have a Furuno NavNet System.

The part of this product that IS unique is our Water Spray Sensors that will detect even the smallest water hose or fitting leak as soon as the leak starts. According to the marine insurance industry the loss of underway vessels, and occasionally the loss of life, is a significant occurance that can virtually be eliminated through the inexpensive installation of BilgeMonitor.

Just out of curiousity, how many times have you entered your engine room, while underway, to check for the cause of a bilge pump helm light, unusual noise, etc? I know it has happened to me many times over the years. Personally, I only like to go in the engine room when the engines are cool and the boat is at the dock. Even then, I'd prefer it was a mechanic!!

Rick
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Oh man, I could have used that water spray sensor on several occasions!! And you're right... I'd rather be in the engine room after it cools down!

I'm familar with some of the hand-held infrared devices. I got to play with one while writing a review for a magazine last year. Very nifty tool with a lot of applications. As the cost comes down, they should be as essential as an adjustable wrench in every tool chest.

Matter of fact, with some of the women you've had onboard your SeaRay... I'm sure you could conjure up some pretty interesting applications! :D

Here's a link to that story...

http://www.yachtforums.com/showthread.php?t=205