Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Bilge Odor

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by mwwhit1, Oct 4, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Any one having issues with bilge odor in the bow? No matter how much I clean with bleach, hang mildew bags under the floor, it comes back. The bilge pump always leaves a gallon or so there which is the main problem. I may try this solution to help keep it completely dry: http://www.aridbilge.com/

I think the main cause for the smell is that Post didn't seal the bottom of the wood floor when installed. Looks like bare plywood that after 25 years of moisture is creating the smell. I'm thinking of trying to cover as much of the underside of the floor as I can reach with West System to seal it. Seems like it would work better than an Oil Based Kilz.

Anything work for you?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

you shouldn't have any water in a forward bilge... in an engine room bilge, you may get drips from the stuffing box, etc.. but not at the bow.

start by finding the source of the water (leaking sea cock, anchor locker not sealed, etc...)

it may not solve your bilge odor but it shoudl help.
  3. blueboat

blueboat New Member

My main boating areas are Lewes, DE, and Hatteras,
    I have a 1982 42 foot Post. I always have a small amount of water in the bow. That is the low point at rest.

The water comes from the rudder stuffing boxes. It's been consistent and small for 4 years so I haven't done anything about it. I have dripless boxes on the prop shafts and they don't leak.

Don't seal under the cabin sole. I don't even know how it would be possible.

I learned a trick in a boating magazine a couple of years ago. Mold can't exist in moving air. That's probably most of your smell.

I've been leaving my portholes open and running a small fan when I'm away from the boat. It has all but eliminated mold and the smells it brings.

Also very important, once the organisms in salt water die off in the toilet bowl, it always stinks bad. Flush it very well and it goes away.

Finally, I use "cinamon and apple" Airguide electric deoderizers when I'm on the boat. Within 15 minutes of arrival and turning on A/C or heat, and then flushing the toilet, the boat smells great with no heavy perfume smell. Much better than most I go on.

Finally, make sure there's no oil or diesel in your bilge. If so, use bilge cleaner or Dawn. That makes a big difference.

Hope this helps.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

ideally, water from the aft bilge and engine room bilge should not be able to make it to the bow since you really dont want oil residues to make it to the bilges under teh accomodation areas.

also in case of an serious leak, sicne the largest pumps are usually in the ER or lazarette, you want the water to stay there and not go to the bow where your largest pumps will not be able to pump it our until it's too late.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

All Posts collect water in the front compartment. Post has a series of lubber holes to carry the water forward, and, at leat on the 50, two PVC type pipes that can be plugged with a standard transom plug like your dinghy has. Some of the water comes in thru the cockpit hatches because of an imperfect seal and poor drainage design. When my boat is shrink wrapped for the season, and I "sponge" out the last drop of water, the bilge stays dry until I remove the wrap and wash the cockpit or it rains. (I store in the water)

As to the odor. A lot of that comes from your anchor line and chain locker which empties right into the bow/stem of the bilge. If you unfasten one of the floor panels and wash that area with a strong hose stream and detergent, I think you will have a significant drop in the odor - it worked for me!
  7. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Thanks for the comments. For the most part, the only water I get is from the shafts while running. A little does come in through the anchor chain hole. I have all chain but you are right, still some smell from that anchor compartment. I'll keep trying things. Didn't think there is a quick\easy fix.
  8. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

You should also try OrPine Bilge Cleaner. It has a nice pine smell to it. I use it all the time.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

There is a drain for your chain locker that runs directly to the bilge at the stem of your boat. All the gunk left on your chain after you weigh anchor washes down that drain and collects in the bilge/stem. If you wash that material out of there and evacuate the the bilge water, I think you will smell a big change.
  10. captainscs

captainscs New Member

smell

This may sound a little off the wall but observe your holding tank mascerator when it's running to make sure the seals are not shot. You may be pumping a minor amount of hold tank liquid into your bilge every time you pump out. It will sure create an "odor".

If it's the problem, just replace the whole pump. Re-builds on those units aren't that swift.
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I remember in the "old days" that pleasure craft were designed to be "bow" down when taking water..from anywhere, theory being..keep the stern up so you can get off at the last minute...sorry. does not help with your odor issue...
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Take a good look at your holding tank and all of it's hoses and connections as it's under the foward floor just aft of the foward stateroom door on 50' Posts and can be a huge source of foul odors.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Don't overlook air leaks... Gauge senders are frequent culprits or obviously loose clamps on fittings at the top of the tank

An effective band aid is to put one of those oil warmers in the bilge on the top of the tank (properly secured so the cord can't fall in the bilge). By putting it in the bilge you kill the odor at the source instead of masking it
  14. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I never responded back to this thread. Thanks for the holding tank items. I do check that whole system and make sure no odor is coming from the parts.

I ended up spending the $$$$ for the single zone aridbilge unit. Installed myself last winter. The odor was noticeably better and pretty much gone this past summer with the bilge staying totally dry. Hung a few damp rid bags down there as well.

I think it was ultimately the water sitting down there for extended time and growing things. Bilge pump could never get it all out since it sits on a 1/2" pad.

Thank you for the suggestions.