Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck

Big Brother comes to Yachting

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by K1W1, Dec 15, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2. The Reverend

The Reverend New Member

Not So Distant

It's already very close, :( about three years ago I remember our Captain getting a call from the owners rep complaining that we would be late in our berth in Portsmouth -he hadn't realised that there was a time delay on the site he was using to watch the AIS. We were already along side and tied up.

There is an interesting article here about the AIS antenna that was fitted on the recent shuttle mission

http://www.esa.int/esaMI/Operations/SEMIHX49J2G_0.html

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I've rigged our tenders with modified SPOT units to track them.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Whilst on this subject, I was hearing rumours that you were somewhere a longway from the sea recently. Good to see you made it back.
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

My owner told me he'd fire me if I put a cell phone signal amplifier on the boat. He wants to get away- not be found- when he's on the boat. None of that AIS/tracking stuff for me.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

With your size and type of vessel you are not legally required to carry AIS AFAIK.

So, your Owners wish to remain unannounced is fine, try turning it off on a bigger vessel and see what piles of brown stuff start to descend.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Personally I am not too keen on the AIS tracking stuff myself for the tracking purposes. However, I like the AIS of other vessels when they pop up on radar especially at night time. It makes it very easy to call the vessel on the VHF or know their intentions because their name is listed, their size, their speed, and heading. Also it makes for good conversation with the rest of your crew when you try to guestimate size on visual and then compare it to the AIS info, or you see some of the strange places the ships are heading to.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

At what vessel length or tonnage is it required? 500 GTor larger I would guess?
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member