Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Best Route Hatteras to Mid Chesapeake - Nanticoke

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Danvilletim, Jul 7, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Thinking of running my 33' center console from Hatteras, NC ( where it is now) to Seaford, DE at the end of the nanticoke river.

What's the best route to the Chesapeake Bay for center console? Would prefer to run on the inside. What's a good stop over location?

With normal weather I'd run at 40kts. 330 gallons. About .9 miles to gallon. So fuel shouldn't be a problem.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would you just be liking a nice, long, wet trip vs renting a trailer?
    I'd go by water, but schedules, cost, wear are different than I, with a bottle of cheap hooch waiting fer me at the end. Warm shower and somebody else washing the boat is good also.
  3. Danvilletim

I think the ride would be super fun. I need to visit my parents and I have the boat so why not. Not sure if it would be 2 or 3 days. If I have room to run, I can easily do 200 miles in 6 hour. I probably won't leave til 1-2pm On first day. So maybe Chesapeake or Gloucester? I don't really know that area.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It depends on the weather. Draft isn’t an issue with a CC so you can take the Croatan to the albermarle and the ICW. Or if it’s smooth enough outside get out at Oregon inlet.

Looks like 230/250 nm You should be able to do it in one shot if running outside. Inside with the NWZs around Norfolk it maybe an extra couple of hours.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, sounds like fun.
    Bourbon or rum, need a hand?
  6. Danvilletim

We spent a great month in Bahamas with 4 crew and honestly I'm excited to go boating in my own. A nice change.

So I need to find a good overnight spot with a reasonable hotel. Ideally something fairly nice and near Norfolk area.
  7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Don't see where you'd need much choice. Hatteras to ICW via Croatan Sound and across the Albemarle, ICW to Norfolk-Portsmouth, then to the Nanticoke. Almost all of the ICW is CC-friendly.

Check ActiveCaptain for fuel and stopover points. Off-hand, can't think of some with hotels on site, 'til you get up closer to Norfolk... Roanoke Island/Manteo, prob'ly; afterwards...? But I suspect you could make lots of that in one big leap...

-Chris
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

One of the two marinas at Coinjock has bungalows (forgot the name, the one on the west side of ICW)
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Oh, yeah.... I forgot about that...

There's really only one active marina there now, on the east side of the ICW. Pleasant enough place to stay over. Good dock hands, decent prime rib (good house made chips, too), usually decent fuel prices (although we found Top Rack to be less expensive this last time). Decent place to stage for southbound crossing the Albemarle, and probably to recover if after a choppy northbound crossing.

-Chris