Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Best place to find a mentor

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by LauderdaleMY, Mar 17, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. LauderdaleMY

LauderdaleMY New Member

I've been a captain for a couple years and kept my head down and just focused on work 24/7. I am now realizing that I should have put more time into making connections. Where would be the best place to find a mentor? Basically, where's the best place to run into other captains other than the dock?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Cafes and restaurants (most definitely not bars) tied to or near boatyards. Crew lounges at major yards and marinas. We initially met great people at Rybovich, but others are similar
    LauderdaleMY likes this.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

There are a number of WhatsApp groups, one in particular for S Florida, with a wealth of knowledge being shared every day. If you send me a PM with your WhatsApp details, as well as the boat details, I can ask that you're added. There is also a captains-only forum on the internet, which I can invite you to.
    The depth of knowledge here on YF is impressive as well, including a few captains on large yachts. So post your questions in each of these media locations and you're off to a great start.
    LauderdaleMY likes this.
  4. James McManus

James McManus New Member

This is a Great post. This sounds exactly like myself. I’ve been a captain for two years with 10 years total industry experience with 7 years being on the same 130 Westport. I would love to have some input from more experienced guys to learn and to help contribute positively to the industry and to avoid mistakes that could make life more difficult for other captains wether by direct action or by damage to the overall image of yacht captains. I have been reluctant to speak up until I saw this post. Thank You for saying something. I will be following this closely.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  5. Ken Bracewell

Same advice and offer to you.
    LauderdaleMY likes this.
  6. olderboater

And no better mentor any of you could find than Ken.
    SeaLion and gr8trn like this.
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I commend both of you for reaching out, having a more experienced Capt. to ask advice and guidance from is an invaluable tool. The whatsapp groups have become a wealth of knowledge for all of us.
    One good avenue in the past was the Captains lunches that the Triton used to put on, they were great for meeting other Captains, hopefully they will come back.
    James- Running a WP130 is a great gig, and there are many of us that have run them, we have a group for 164' Captains on Whatsapp, you should try getting one going for the 130's, good way to introduce yourself to other Captains. Let me know, I know 2 very experienced Capt. running 130's that would be good to have in the group. I ran one for 10 years.
    Other than getting out there on the dock and introducing yourself, this is a good first step reaching out here.
    Feel free to DM me if you need any help.
    PS- The pubs in the marina's are good spot to introduce yourself, if you see the Captain from a neighboring yacht, introduce yourself, most of us would enjoy a chat.
  8. Ken Bracewell

Hi Randy- he's actually running a smaller boat. I believe he was crew on a 130. He's reached out to me privately, and I've requested he be added to the S. Florida group.
  9. olderboater

A few words of advice on mentors. You'll have to sort through a lot, but that's ok. Some give tremendous advice but don't practice close to that advice. Sometimes the older captains too are far removed from what you're facing and someone with less experience but less removed from your situation might be better. There's a tremendous difference in captaining a 164' boat with a crew of 11 and a 60' boat with a crew of 2. A big difference in 5 star white linen vs. a casual coastal cruiser.

Take it all in and then forge your own way. Do things in a way that are true to yourself. Don't compromise your own principles. Keep in mind that the safety of the boat and passengers is your ultimate responsibility, you do have a boss, typically the owner, to report to and to please. Previously you reported to a captain, a professional mariner. Now, your boss is not a professional mariner and your job is part mariner and part a hospitality manager.

Get a lot of different opinions and build a network of those you'd like to get advice from when you encounter problems. Then contact them for suggestions.

What are the ultimate measurements of how you do your job? Safety and Pleasure. Safety is first, but if the owner and guests aren't enjoying themselves, you've not done your job. Similarly, I think the crew must enjoy themselves. I believe an unhappy crew will poison everything. That puts you in a difficult situation as while it's your job to follow the owner's instructions, you also must represent the crew's needs and desires with the owner.

Think back to why you chose the industry. Hopefully, it's because you enjoy the water, enjoy boating. If so, make sure those around you do as well. If the only reason was you thought it was an easy way to make a lot of money, then I can't imagine you, or those around you, will be happy.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The most critical learning time frame is before becoming a captain.

personally my path has been thru owning my own boats for 25 years during which I pretty much learned all I needed including mechanical skills. My largest personal boat is my 53 Hatteras MY.

then I underwent what some would call a midlife crisis and decided to get my license then ditch the small business which was great and paid for the toys but was also becoming too stressful.

Started running a 70, then an 84 and now a 110. I really hope the boss doesn’t want a bigger boat… that’s as big as I want to deal with :)

beyond the driving and navigating which is the easy part of the job I think the most critical thing was the mechanical and troubleshooting skills I acquired over 25 years of personal boat ownership. And classic cars and airplane flying… I think this os often overlooked and I ve seen too many professional captains who are unable to troubleshot basic issues. Not talking rebuilding an engine but basic general mechanical skills whether dealing with an electrical issue or pump or head or electronics. This is critical on a boat especially when traveling to places where you don’t have services. And even close to home… telling the boss “sorry we got to cut the three day trip short because the air con is throwing a HP error” is not an option.

Problem is that nowadays, most younger people have zero mechanical skills and don’t know the difference between a bolt, a screw and a nut. Unfortunately many of these end up with a captain license and can’t troubleshoot anything.

This is why I started this post saying the most important time is before becoming a captain

a few months ago we hired a full time mate on the 110. Young kid in his early twenties who had crewed part time with us and crewed on a few other boats here and there. he has a great attitude, hard worker. Perfect. But zero mechanical knowledge. Since he has expressed interest in learning and eventually moving up the ladder, I ve taken on the role of mentor spending a lot of time teaching him whatever I can from replacing an hydraulic line for the swim platform to replacing the jet ski battery aw well as gen oil changes, etc.

These are skills the average captain need to have and unfortunately between the current obsession with useless college degrees and looking down on manual and work, most “kids” are clueless when it comes to fixing anything. That’s a big problem on a boat
  11. olderboater

I agree with you on hands on skills, but strongly disagree with the characterization of younger people. Perhaps true with those you've hired, but we've had far different experience.

Skilled crew we've hired over the last 10 years and ages when hired and experience and knowledge.

28 year old Captain. College graduate, accounting major but always knew captaining was her career plan. Grew up doing everything on her father's Grand Banks. Worked on charters during summers during college. Great hands on and technical skills.

24 year old Captain. Immediately out of high school started working on a large yacht doing all types of work while getting time and captain school. At 24 had run and maintained two boats for one family.

28 year old Engineer. Cal Maritime grad which includes a lot of hands on work. Then 18 months in the Gulf doing commercial work.

24 year old Captain. Grew up doing sailing charters with father in Virgin Islands. Knew how to fix anything on the boat. Then got Captains License and ran powerboat charters.

27 year old Engineer. Mother was in Navy and she spent summers on father's yacht in Italy. SUNY graduate.

23 year old Captain. Maine Maritime graduate. Grew up with family chartering yachts every summer.

24 year old Engineer. Texas A&M graduate. Grew up on small boats. Worked 18 months offshore commercial after graduation.

29 year old Engineer. Maine Maritime graduate. Her father was a lobsterman in Maine. After graduation she worked six years on commercial tugs.

Sorry, but I'm big on young people. We also see in so many ways in our business some incredible young people. Yes, you'll find some who aren't committed to any profession or doing the dirty work so haven't learned the skills and tools needed, but many more who are willing to do what it takes to build their chosen career. However, for the 8 we hired above, there were many more highly qualified candidates. But then our stews also don't hesitate to do any deck work required.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree with ith you about young people… they’re worth training. But note the background of the people you listed…all grew up around boats or had education related to Boats.

i m talking about the other 90%.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Been trying to say this a few days now. And those that know me here understand.
    I am the victim of my own crappy personality.
    My friends and customers that have been with us for years understand.
    New customers hear the dock side chatter, gossip and poor information on a service provider will avoid the topic person.

There was one loud mouth that saw me in the local West Marine store several times and told everybody I purchased there and marked up my supplies.
    Rite, I'm a whole sale purchaser and always resold cheaper than the store, but it took a while to over come his mouth on dock A.

So it is with boat captains. Just takes the wrong gossip or first impression and it becomes an uphill battle till all realize, oops, he pretty cool after all.

So, don't take my path, don't socialize on the docks, Don't drink or smoke on the docks or anywhere in that hood.

Took a while for some folks to realize, I did not smoke while on duty, usually did not smoke all that day until the day was finished and away from the customers boat.
    Never, NEVER had a complaint but just ensured it never came up.

Is your car/truck dirty? Coffee stain on your shirt? (always 2 fresh shirts in our van). Dirty finger nails when you poorly shake a hand?
    Not talking new vehicle here just clean. Not talking new pressed shirts either. Got to be clean for than important first hand shake.

Then that one day you sneeze out the wrong end, That will keep the docks buzzing for a long time.

You ever had a customer complain? Oh heck, that hurts and nobody will talk to you. Other captains will walk on by.

For the few that pass this, it's just good exposure.

Here is your entrance... No issues and a big smile and proper introduction and handshake.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

BTW
    Captains do wash boats, do get out with the crew and work needle gun, sanders and lay varnish, do help in the bilges and help other boats come and go from the docks with nothing but smiles.
    You want recondition, the crews, brokers and others on the docks see this and remember.
    Just walk by a bad cleat tie, ooohhhaaa.
  15. olderboater

Ralph, quite a post and a lot of good warning to it. Note that I specifically said in my post "no bars." I'd add, "no alcohol." When socializing with other captains, I'd suggest best behavior like it's all a job interview, because it really is as each contact can lead to potential work. I don't know if any problems you encountered involved alcohol or not, either on your side or the other persons.

I made it a point decades ago to never discuss business with anyone who was drinking. I will discuss business and boating over lunch in a restaurant, but not in a bar. Also, not at 3 am as long ago I heard nothing good ever happens at 3 am.

Wrong first impression is huge, and I've known young people to go to what they heard was the bar all the captains hung out in. Didn't matter the others were drinking, their first impression of the young candidate was him drinking. Even if we do things, we may frown when we see others do so. Same thing with attitude. Bunch of captains telling dirty jokes and newcomer tells one and that's how they remember him.

One is always on display and it carries over to jobs or businesses. We warn young employees about social media today and we will quickly terminate over posts we don't allow as customers and employees still tie the post to them. You can't be one person on your time and another at work unless you keep the person on your time discreet and private.

Your advice is great. Every contact is building your reputation. Might not be fair. Certainly can give wrong impressions. Many of us here,, only know each other based on forum posts. That's why I never name any of my businesses here or share detailed personal information. I've formed opinions, both positive and negative of forum participants, and then heard the opposite from those who really knew them.

I also knew a captain who got fired over a discussion with other captains on the dock. Turns out a close friend of his boat owner heard some things he shared with the others while walking by.

Add to this, one is always in front of a camera today. Guess we're back to don't say or do anything you wouldn't want your mother or spouse to see.

Once we build relationships, as you indicated, we're far more tolerant. I once had a distribution manager who it was almost like his first name was grouchy or grumpy. He never cursed employees but he was short with them. Had I said things the same way, there would have been an uprising, but they adored him. He'd come to my office whining and always leave with what he wanted. Someone once asked how I tolerated him and I said "because he runs the best warehouse you'll ever see and it's just his personality."

You've given young people the best advice they'll get today and it was heartfelt from you so maybe they'll hear it.