Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck

Best long term marina in exumas?

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Spray, Sep 17, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Spray

Spray New Member

Previously I was looking for advice for a Harbor Island Marina. Looking for some advice on where we could leave our 70 ft Marlow in Exumas. Emerald Bay Marina? Sampson Cay Club? Is it as easy to fly in from So. FL as Harbor Island? We definitely want to visit HI still, but thinking another spot in the Exumas may be a better home base for about 3 months. Captain would be staying with boat either way. Thank you for your help in advance!
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Samson is now closed (see other thread)

- Highborne has great protection but no flights...
    - Compass has good protection but no flights...
    - Staniel has no protection from fronts so captain would have to move the boat to anchorage for a day or two every once in a while. Fights are limited to Watermakers from FTL executive and expensive or connection thru Nassau
    - Emerald, never been there but it looks fairly protected and easy flights to Gtown. If its blowing outside in the sound you are stuck there though.
    - Exuma YC, formerly Exuma Docking services, in gtown, good flights, good protection
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Emerald sucks as you have a constant tidal surge and have to adjust lines more often than daily and there is nothing around it. Exuma YC, is good and protected enough, and has a restaurant there and grocery store nearby. Nassau would be a good choice, international flights, groceries, parts.... and highbourne's 43NM, Staniel Cay 75NM, and Harbour Island is 60NM from there...... I second the advice above totally. The only place in the exumas (aside from great exuma) that I felt comfortable leaving boats, and have left 2 there for periods of time was Sampson Cay.....protected, and close enough to get a ride from Staniel when I flew in on Watermakers.