Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Bertram 54 New Window Frames

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Ormond Bert54, Nov 2, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My New Window Frames project is working out extremely well so I'm going to share ...

Phipps Boatworks at Herrington Harbour North is doing the work and it's going exceptionally well.

Phipps removed the leaky corroded aluminum frames to expose two aluminum structural supports. One forward and one in the center of the side windows. They created a template on plywood that was sent to GlassTech.

GlassTech did a beautiful job creating the fiberglass window frames with beautiful lines for the windows themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 1/4" tempered glass is on order and should arrive soon.

Phipps is beautifully trimming out the inside of the window frame with 1/2" solid teak.
  2. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Wow looks like their doing a great job! Looking at it kind of makes me want me to do the same thing on mine.....

Can I know how much it's costing you?
  3. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Manny - The window frames from GlassTech were approx $8,800.

The process of removing the old window frames and creating the template was $5,500.

Installation and trim out ... I am expecting to pay another $10k (plus the tempered glass).

I could have saved some money on the trim-out if I did not want the level of detail they have provided.

The key to the entire job was

1. GlassTech custom making the frames from a template provided by my guy.
    2. Working AROUND the structural supports.

Had I CUT the structural supports and installed the fiberglass window frame with the hopes of IT taking the load???? Could have been horrible.

Mike
  4. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The windows look great. FWIW, I'd go ahead and add a radius in the upper aft corner of the bridge just above the window to match the windows and to soften the lines a bit . Bertram did this in the 87 and newer 54's.

Attached Files:

5. Manny

Manny Senior Member

A few years ago I was thinking of cutting off the supports for the windows, but I realized how risky it could be for the structure so I didn't do it. Then I thought of doing what a friend of mine did on his 54'....cut off the outer part of the support just enough to fit a 1 piece window while at the same time still maintain structural integrity inside. They may have done something to the support to also make it stronger....not really sure of the details. Really updated the lines, though. Now I feel an itch in my wallet....I think I'll keep it the way it is for now :eek: