Click for Comfort Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Bertram 37 1990 Engine Mod.

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by zappiros, Mar 26, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. zappiros

zappiros New Member

Hello friends, I am looking for some advice, I want to buy a new or rebuilt pair of engines for a Bertram 37 year 1990 (Acctually have the CAT´s 3208 375 hp) I would like to have more Horse Power !!! ... I am not sure if I should go with the CAT 3208 435 hp or change to Yanmar...any advice would be appreciated ! thanks

;)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, it's going to cost considerably less to rebuild your CAT's, or go with reman cats and could upgrade to the higher HP 425hp cat's and it would be a pretty easy swap most likely and 2nd least cost effective.

Going with newer technology and engines has many merit's as well if you're looking for more HP and other factors. Cat c6's would be a good choice......if they fit.....Cummins are available as well as yanmars......it all depends on what fits, who can service it in Bonaire, and what you're willing to spend......I think I remember someone putting 480 HP Cummins in a Bertram like yours although it might've been a 42' and they were very happy with them.
  3. zappiros

zappiros New Member

Dear Capt J thanks for your reply !!! I am agree with you..I am thinking that going with a pair of CAT 3208 with 435 hp will be the least headache solution to go....
    the actual transmissions, shafts and props should work with this extra 60 hp on each engine?????
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would think so. You'll probably have to add a couple of inches of pitch to your props (have them re-pitched). Bertram tended to overbuild things back then.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Around th 90s, Bertram may (may) have been thin on some specs. Including the safety factor on the shafts. Always double check any spec before putting any bux on it.
    I'm an old DD fan. Love them old Cats also. If the boat is a keeper and your going to put some hours on, Put some new iron in there.
    Good luck and keep in touch, we love pictures.
  6. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

the only problem with the cat 435 hp 3208 is that they were not very reliable compared to the 375hp 3208 as I believe that 435 was too much hp for that block. I know of a mid 90's tiara 36 that has the 435 hp 3208s that have had to be rebuilt twice already, while many older 375hp versions are running still without a rebuild.

good luck with your project

GMax
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Personally I would stick with the lower HP 3208's.

Like many engine families they get the most life and reliability in the lower output configurations, all the bigger output ones are doing is pushing more air into the cylinders so they can burn more fuel per combustion cycle, this adds stress and strain to all components in the engine the higher the output gets.
  8. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

There is a lot of information on boatdiesel about Bertram 37 engines. You may want to pay the $25 and browse their archives and then post your question there also. Many 37s used the DD 6 92s with owners wanting to shed weight and high fuel consumption. Cummins 480s seem a good alternative. Your Cats would need some $$ to get the HP up, that same question could be posed on boatdiesel along with transmission,shaft and prop combinations. For good reason, your 37 is a great vessel to put $$ into or as suggested keep it the same. A few extra HP could lower your range if not done right.
  9. MDS

MDS New Member

Cummins 480CE is no longer available. Cummins Diamond 450 8.3C is the engine of choice here both on cost and parts availability. The Bertram 37 does well with with this power. Same running gear used!
  10. zappiros

zappiros New Member

Thank you my friend.....will try to find more info about these engines ;)