Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay

Bertram 28 power

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Sheepdog, Jul 14, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog New Member

Okay, I am new here and just picked up a 28 Bertram. It is dirty, but complete, except for engines and transmissions. Dirty as heck, but that will be fixed tomorrow.

I am sure it came with small blocks. What transmissions though?

I am thinking some 383s with Velvet Drive straight 71 series. Or could go with a down angle Hurth. What would be best? What did it come with?

Sorry for dumb questions, but I need to come up with a plan.

Thanks for your time!
  2. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Mine has the small blocks and I believe they are the velvet drive 71C transmissions. I'm planning to repower with the 383's at some point. The 72C Velvet Drive is a consideration for power greater than 300 hp.
  3. CapLady

CapLady Senior Member

If I had a nice little 28 Bertram and was going to re-power I wouldn't consider anything but diesel. But that's just me.
  4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog New Member

Bert,

Thanks! 72c is probably a better way to go. We are going to go clean her up today. I will do some measuring but I think small blocks will work best. I just found a good deal on a set of big blocks. I don't want it to be too much of a PITA to work on.

To the diesel crowd. They may be nice and give a little better fuel efficiency, but they cost more than I am willing to spend and they stink. Gas engines will be quieter and smoother and easier to maintain. Not trying to offend anyone, that is just the way I feel about them. I will just be using it in the Chesapeake so range is not that important.

Now time to go get cleaning!
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Everything but engine and gears? Maybe you can work back wards.
    What size and pitch wheels do you have? I would be poorly guessing myself, but a good prop shop can tell you how much HP and torque was required to turn them. Then figure the reduction it may have had.
  6. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

The small blocks will be plenty of power. A pair of big blocks will add close to 1000 pounds. Try to keep the boat as light as you can. A velvet drive is about as bullit proof as you can get.
  7. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

If you are starting from scratch the best approach would be to figure out what the ideal propeller is for the boat. Then select your transmission/engine to match the rpm's and power required for that setup. The best place for this would probably be a Betram 28 forum. Many boats came with a 1:1 transmission for initial cost savings as these were the cheapest transmissions. Not necessarily the best for speed or economy.
  8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog New Member

Correct. Now I have another plan. I just bought a set of 454 Crusaders. Mid 80s vintage that I will go completely through. I know big blocks seem rare in a boat this size, but it should not be a problem. They come with 2:1 transmissions so figuring out the prop will be next.

I measured a Mercruiser small block yesterday and all dimensions are the same except the 454s are 4" wider. They only weich about 150lbs more each so I am willing to deal with that to have a nice torquey engine that should cruise around 3200-3400 rpm.

So is there a good prop program to help figure this out. I plan on upgrading shaft t0 1-1/4" a;ong with the struts. Probably put a larger set of rudders on as well.

When I am done, there will finally be some pictures of a 28 with big blocks as well!
  9. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Bold move but sounds fun if you are qualified. You might want to go on the 31Bertram site to get their opinion on this. The big challenge would be moving e engine forward but hopefully that will not be necessary. You will likely need to build new raised boxes over the new engines.
  10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog New Member

Bert,

Thanks. I work on boats for a living. We had an older Mercruiser 350 and trans lying around and a pair of 350 hp 454 Crusaders. They are the same height from mount to flame arrestor and within an inch of the same length. The only difference is the 454s are 4" wider.

I am going to try it. The worse thing that can happen is I won't like it when I test fit them. I can then just sell the big blocks and get small blocks. At least I will have all the mounts, coolers, water pumps, etc. I am paying $2800 for both complete engines from couplers to raw water pumps so could not resist the deal. Since I will have them, I may as well try them.

I put a 454 in a 62 Nova so this should be easy. :eek:)

I'll make a thread with lots of pics.

Have a great day!
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Bert's concern (I think) was if the original mounts were for a 1:1, now you have a reduction option added on behind the gear. You may have to move everything forward to make room for the reduction housing. If the original setup had a reduction then plug and play.
    I have re-powered small block to large block setups. Your going to love it. In one of my projects, I did not change shafts or props. What a pull. 200 gal of gas, 6 people, 18 dive tanks, dive weights, dive equipment, ice and meals. SBCs were dying, LBC were asking for more, near same fuel consumption (same h p draw).
    After a while I went to larger wheels. Took advantage of the extra h p and found a lot more speed. Then the fuel consumption came up.
    I finally ended up with a mid use prop set. The LBCs would over rev on a light boat but when loaded (really loaded) those extra cubes work very well. BIG SMILES.

Send pics.

Have fun.