Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Bertram 28 Fiberglass Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by rdalessio, Apr 24, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rdalessio

rdalessio New Member

Hi: My 1983 Bertram 28 has a fiberglass fuel tank and, with the change-over to ethanol gas, it is going to have to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get the dimensions for this tank so that I can get a new one fabricated? It holds approximately 190 gallons. Thanks for your help.
    Regards, Dick
  2. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I would call Bertram directly. Have your hull ID. With that, they can tell you everything about your boat.
    I have read a few discussions about the ethinol/fiberglass tank problem & I hear talk of some sort of "coating" being sprayed into tanks to protect them.
    Good luck!
  3. PHILRAJOTTE

PHILRAJOTTE New Member

The Size Of Your Tank Should Be 79 Inches Long By 33 Inches Wide By 20inches Deep And Have Two Angles Oneach Side Running Down The Center Of The Boat I'm Building Two Of Those Tanks Right Now If You Need A Drawing Give A Call 1-888-594-9353
  4. Bert28

Bert28 New Member

I'm just finishing up on a total restore of my 73 Bertram 28. Since I had her totally stripped down, I replaced the tank with a custom aluminum that I designed from bulkhead and clearance dimentions. It holds 195 gallons and was welded by a friend of mine in his fabrication shop costing me $900. I then coated the tank in Awlgrip. I called Hightide Marine and they would only warranty their fiberglass tank for 5 years. I thought of making my own fiberglass tank, but all the resin suppliers told me the same thing, even the corrosive tank makers that they would only warranty for no more than 5 years. Hope I made the right decision, time will tell.