Click for Walker Click for Fendertex Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

Bertram 25 Experience...?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by 84far, Oct 3, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any info and experience on maybe owning a Bertram 25, or just general knowledge...?

My younger Brother and friend are going to go halfs in a 1988 model, as both are mad fisherman, I thought this would be a great stepping stone from a 18' centre console. She looks pretty clean from the outside and inside for that matter. Plus, I was thinking of chucking in a few grand, so I get some play time as well.

My only concern with the boat is the motors - twin Mercruisers 165hp, the owner seems to have most of the paper work in regards to service history. She also gets kept on the hard stand which isn't to bad in my books, but yet again, thoughts on the situations would be great!

Cheers

Far
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

What model is it? I didn´t know they made the 25´ as late as 1988?

Anyway, the boats are usually good if they have not been submerged in a hurricane. The engines are a little scary, so try to find out as much as possible of the condition.

A friend of mine just bought this 25 HT, completely renovated and with new engines. He is very happy with it.

Attached Files:

3. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi Lars,

She's a little flybridge model, petrol motors. My only concern is the motors letting go cause of there age. But I'll get the mechanic to have a look in the coming days.

Also, hull condition, any grey areas that the boats are known for...? Cheers

Far

Attached Files:

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I've always liked those ole, simple straight 6s. I remember, some of the 25s started with 4 cly units.
    If they check out, you should not have to many worries.
    One trick, Have a spare alternator / water pump belt mounted inside the motor mount and secured with plastic tie wraps. Once you see the front of the engine, you will know what I mean.
  5. 84far

84far Senior Member

Thanks mate, I see what you mean and if we buy her, I'll put your advise into practice. Cheers

Far
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I hope they like to rock and roll while drift fishing, because man did those 25' and the 28's rock and roll even at the dock on still water.
  7. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

I've had two 25s--a Bahia Mar and a flybridge. Both were great sea boats and I found them drier than 31s. The 25s were still early in the fiberglass revolution and they were overbuilt: the solid f/g hull was nearly an inch thick in places with plenty of stringers and strakes for stiffening.

Advice? I'd give the fuel tank careful checking. I'd check the foredeck for any spongy spots since they used plywood for stiffening and it often turned to mush since early bedding wasn't always sufficient. Those inline six Mercs are pretty bullet-proof, you can get parts at most auto supply shops, and even a shade-tree mechanic can work on them. On the other hand, the sterndrives can be an issue since they are immersed in saltwater and don't receive the care that engines might. Check the rubber seals, check for corrosion, and check the lube oil for any signs of saltwater invasion. Last, check the steering system carefully. I replaced the cable on both boats with hydraulics and was very pleased. Other than that, enjoy them. I wish I still had my two.
  8. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi Capt, great advise! in Moreton Bay we have a nasty steep chop especially with the N/E's, so I thought the Bertram would be great due to it's deep V. Running will be interesting though. I'm good with the rock and roll (28years, and still haven't been sick), I guess we can always set up some trawler fins on the outriggers to stabilize the boat. Cheers

Far
  9. 84far

84far Senior Member

ayachtguy, pearler advise! I have heard interesting things with the Mercs, but as you say, it won't be hard getting spare parts for them. The boat will be kept on the hard, but have heard that the seals can go stiff. We are getting quotes on engine rebuilds as well, I heard 5g a pop (twin motors), but still trying to get some better answers, and will try and get a mechanic in there to give us a better reading of the situation.

The decks looked to be in good condition, I didn't go to the bow, the front hatch did seem to need some touch up work. I also checked the stringers under the foredeck, which seemed to be in good order. I do have some nice contacts for repair work if needed, or I could always do the repairs myself if need be... Hate fibreglass though!!! itchy sh!t :rolleyes:

Cheers

Far
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Name a 25' or 28' boat that does not rock n' roll and is an exceptional sea boat? Except for a small Lobster Boat, which has its own limitations, your options are down to about zero. Not every one gets to run 60' sleds. I'd rather have that deep vee saving my back on the ride to and from the fishing grounds, so I can be good to go for the rest of the work week.

Roll is a subjective opinion anyways - as long as it is a soft roll, you will be able to easily adjust and it should be a non-factor to getting out and enjoying some sea time.
  11. 84far

84far Senior Member

PacBlue, a Deep V boat should have consistent roll, where a boat with shallow V, should have whats known as a snap roll, kind of a jerking effect when the boat rolls. There's really pros and cons for both... but a 25'... I'll go for the Deep V. Cheers

Far
  12. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I'm fairly sure that is not a Bertram, perhaps it's based on a Bertram but I don't think it was built in Miami.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 27' Conch center console, the old style 25' Contenders, a 28' Carolina Classic, Strike 26', Strike 29', some of the blackfins all are a lot more stable boat on the troll and drift fishing.
  14. RER

RER Senior Member

You are correct, sir! ...sort of. It's a Bertram built under license in Australia by International Marine.
  15. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Way to directly avoid the comparison - center consoles vs. flybridge. And that' just not totally true on the Contender 25 / Strike 26, fished on them and a 25 Bertram Cuddy, can't say that there was a noticable difference in roll on drift. It will matter how the boats is equipped and how much the chines are submerged. A Shamrock 25/26 was extremely stable on the drift but would pound your fillings out on the way back.

I believe Bertram had a license agreement with Riva in Italy as well?
  16. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

+1
    The Spooner family have the moulds and they are called Caribbean’s. They have hardly changed any of their models in 30 years and still sell enough boats to survive. Keep in mind they don't need to sell boats to "survive" in any case. The local fishing community like them a lot.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Nobody made 25' Flybridge boats for stability reasons and that is why the Bertrams rocked and rolled in addition to having such a deep-v, Bertram also did make the 25' in a non-flybridge version and center console version. You can compare the center consoles mentioned to the non flybridge version of boats I mentioned. Or you can compare a Blackfin FB to the Bertram, take your pic. A strike 26' or 29' with a tuna tower would be comparable to a Bertram 25' with a flybridge if you consider the weight of the tower and it's effect on center of gravity, the Strikes are a heck of a lot more stable at slow or no speeds.
  18. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I know the Hatteras Homer in you will not allow you to say a kind word about Bertram, so I didn't expect anything positive from you on this topic anyways.

I don't want to get into semantics about center consoles with towers vs. flybridge boats in this size range, but you are not speaking the truth again when you stated that nobody made flybridge boats in the 25' class - try 24/25/26 Skipjack who built hundreds if maybe not a thousand of them as well as the 26 Billfisher by Blackman and the 26' Blackwatch built by the Aussies. There are others as well.
  19. 84far

84far Senior Member

I had a look at the Blackwatch 26, nice boat, but out of the budget. I think anything of this size with a flybridge will always rock.

Great thing about this boat is it has an enclosed head up stairs, usually they have a portaloo in the V-berth... not great for the ladies ;)

Far
  20. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Bertram did, indeed, make the 25 in other versions, but the only center-console 25s are customs built, often on a 25 hull with a trashed deck/house. They had the flybridge, an open version called the Moppie that was a big runabout, the Bahia Mar, an express version, etc. But one thing I do know is that both the Caribbeans and the Rivas were built with the same quality construction but to a much higher standard of finish than the Miami boats.