Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Westport

Becoming Captain of a 70-200 foot yacht

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by mr.andyrew, Jul 19, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mr.andyrew

mr.andyrew New Member

:confused: I'm 14 and i know that i want to become the captain of a 70 to 200 foot sailing yacht. I know i'm young but i've had a lot of sailing experience with my family's multiple under 20 foot sailboats. PLEASE if you have any advice, information, recommendations, etc. on how to get a job as a captain on the previously described yacht please tell me.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

You might want to take some time and scroll through these forums, as well as the Captain's section further down the front page. You'll find plenty of threads discussing what qualifications it takes to one day captain a yacht.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I hope this won't put you off, but education and connections are the keys. Plan on going to a good maritime college. Word from you local congressperson could help with admission so send him a letter or e-mail introducing yourself and keep in touch so you're known when the time comes. You're a bit young for a job yet, but maybe you could volunteer at your local sailing club or Yacht Club helping to teach younger kids during the summer.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Start working now to learn anything and everything you can about boats, their systems and how to maintain them. Learn to varnish, wash and wax, maintain teak decks, tie knots, scuba dive, etc..

Take every chance you get to go on a boat. Even if it's just a day trip. Start getting time on power boats and keep a log of all your trips. Be sure to include the registration information of each boat.

Get a summer or weekend job at a marina.

Learn to navigate, learn how radar works, etc.. There are DVDs and online courses for a lot of this.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All good advice, but some of it may have to wait a summer or two.
  6. mr.andyrew

mr.andyrew New Member

Thank you

Thanks very much. My dad also bought me one edition of the Chapman's Piloting book. I've learned a lot from it but i think I'll have to wait a few years before I can get some serious hands on boating.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Serious, yes. Hands on, No. I was 6 when I started. Most of all, keep it fun.
  8. Capt Bill11

I don't see why. There is nothing I mentioned that a motivated 14 year old could not at least start to learn to do.
  9. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

He can get working papers at age 14 in most states, including North Carolina (as his stated location indicates).

http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact sheets/joint_state_fed.htm

That can get him to work in a local marina, being a helper at least, or working a gas dock - lots of experience tying and untying, as well as experiencing boating personalities in some interesting situations. At the very least, he can get some good "how not to..." stories.
  10. mr.andyrew

mr.andyrew New Member

I turn 14 in September and Myrtle beach isn't too far away. I don't know if that's a good place to get a job but if it isn't please tell me a place that would be good.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've got several good marinas in Myrtle Bch. although you won't find much sail action. There's also Georgetown and Southport (depending if your north or south) where you will find more sail, as well as find more fishing and some larger boats. I'll PM you a site where you can get marina info.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i dont know how many marinas woudl be willing to hire a 14 or 15 year old they dont' know. a lot of these position are filled the "who you know" way...

if you're into sailing, you need time on the water, not pumping gas... Start saving, do some odd jobs, get family to give you money for Bday and Xmas instead of silly gifts, save every penny you can and next spring buy yourself a used something. a laser, a hobie cat, anything that will get you on the water for cheap and which you can eventually race a little bit. something that's cheap to maintain, which can be easily stored in a back yard and trailered around. This how you will learn the basics. you cna find a used hobie for under $1000...

with that experience you can also be a councelor at sailing summer camps, and get more experience, and reference.

and as others have mentioned, try to get your foot in the door at local clubs to crew. There are many boats looking for crew come regatta day, with a little experience sailing and the right attitude you can get in.

as NYCAP said, you're not going to find a lot of action in Myrtle Beach... instead check out Oriental NC and obviously Annapolis although you should also find a lot of opportunities around NY too. Seem to be a lot of racing on the sound.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There is indeed a lot of sail action in the western L.I.Sound as in Annapolis, but both might be hard to get to for an almost 14 year old from N.C. That's why I suggested areas near where he'll be. At 14 I don't believe he's allowed to mess with motors, chemicals or any situations that pose a potential danger. In my PM I gave some suggestions on getting the "who you know" situation in hand. Also, the marinas around his area can generally use a kid to bring ice, etc. and he'll gain 'see & hear' experience as well as make some connections. He says he's "had a lot of sailing experience with my family's multiple under 20 foot sailboats", but Pascal's idea of buying a little something of his own is not bad. It'd be his responsibility to maintain and fix it and could gain him experience that he either can't legally get or that employers may be hesitant to pay him to get. When I was a little younger than he is now I was over the shoulder of and handing wrenches to my friends older brothers as they worked on motors, boats and cars. I was also building small prams and running a 14 footer everywhere I could find trouble to get into.:rolleyes:
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

never mind, i dont' know why i thought he was from NJ!... confusing posts i think... yes, then obviously LIS and annapolis is too far...

Oak Island is next to Southport, not sure how active the sailing community is aroudn there. Teh cape fear river is probably not too dinghy/beach car friendly so most of the sailing will be in the ocean. unless there are large lakes nearby.

Small boats is where you learn the rope, litterally. it's also so much fun... we now keep the Hobie 16 not far from the marina, and sail at least once a week...
  15. Capt Bill11

Sailing is fun and a good learning tool. But unless he intends on just captaining big sailboats, and even if that is true, it's time he starts spending some time on power boats as well.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's primarily what he'll find in his area.
  17. mr.andyrew

mr.andyrew New Member

My family owns a Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2m. So I have some experience and i know all the basics and some specialized stuff but I'm pretty sure larger boats and a lot different than daysailers.
  18. mr.andyrew

mr.andyrew New Member

Funny you mention Oak Island because my grandparents own a small beach house there and we go there a couple of times throughout the summer. Southport is only about a 10 minute drive from the house
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You might have noticed your location posted. That's why we're trying to direct advice to your area. The guys you're talking with here have been through the area several if not many times.:D
    Boats do in fact get much more complicated with size. First we crawl, then we walk, finally we run. Good luck.
  20. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Wow - My wife laughs at me ever time I say this but I thought some one should mention it. I was a Sea scout. :cool: The boat I was on was one of the biggest in the Sea Scout fleet in Puget sound. It was a old mine sweeper. Don't remember the year but it was 75' -ugly old wood hull with a single diesel. You should check to see if there is a group by you. You will learn alot from being in Sea scouts. Hands on repairs to working out of books. Here was a recent ad that I saw. PM me and I will give you the phone number and maybe they can locate a group by you.

Everett Sea Scouts is looking for boat donations and new recruits. The Sea Scouts is a 100 yr old division of the Boy Scouts. Looking for new recruits 14-20 yrs old- co-ed. Adult volunteers needed, too!