Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Westport

Battery for windlass

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by finman, Jul 19, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. finman

finman New Member

I have a pretty elementary question.
    Our family is new to yachts and we have been having a problem with our windlass. We have about 125' of chain and if we let more than 50' out and pull it back in the battery for the windlass dies. It has its own dedicated battery and it was new last year. I think the battery is the problem because its a marine deep cycle starting battery rated in cranking amps. I thought we should replace it with a battery thats rated in hrs of duty instead of cranking amps.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Finman
  2. brianwill

brianwill New Member

What size battery do you have? Group 24 is the smallest, group 27 next (the smallest I'd recommend for a windlass), group 31, and then the 4/8D. Also, is it wired to an alternator or battery charger? If so, you might want to have the engine or generator/battery charger running before you weigh anchor.

On my boat, I have two group 27 batteries in parallel for the windlass and I start the engines prior to weighing anchor so the battery doesn't run down. If you run the battery down too deep too often, then you've probably killed it and may need to replace it.
  3. finman

finman New Member

Thanks for the reply back.
    I am learning more about the ins and outs of yachting. My step dad had replaced the windlass battery last Aug and I bet he just replaced it with a group 24 marine cranking battery. I dont know alot about batteries so how do you tell what group it is.
    I do believe the battery is powered by the on board charging system or generator because each weekend we use the boat the battery is fully charged and when we run the windlass we do have the boat and generator running but after about wenching in 50' it just starts slowing down so I figured the battery cant keep up.
    I am going to do some more investigating on what is charging the battery. I know it is not powered by the alternator on one of the engines.
    Where or what brand would you recommend for a good grp 27 or 31 battery?

Thanks
  4. finman

finman New Member

Another question I have :

The windlass battery is located right next to the generator and generator battery.
    I think the windlass battery is charge by the on board charging system by the generator or shore power.
    The other battery that starts the generator I believe runs off the alternator of the generator.
    Would it be good to try and tie the generator and windlass batteries together.
    If so what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks,

Finman
  5. brianwill

brianwill New Member

I'd keep the windlass battery separate from the generator, since if you get stuck, the generator can power your battery charger and protect your capability to start engines and get home. You could probably parallel these batteries together thru a switch, but that's getting complicated and I wouldn't do it if I were you.

The batteries get bigger as you go from group 24 to 8D, I don't know the exact dimensions. I've had good luck with the new Optima orbital batteries--they're available at the wholesale retailers, (e.g., Costco). If you take care of a lead-acid battery, it should give you good service as well. If in doubt, I'd start with a fresh battery after you've made sure that you have the battery on one of the chargers (alternator or dedicated).
  6. digitalvibes

digitalvibes New Member

finman, one other possibility is the wires from the battery to the windlass. If they're too small or corroded they will heat up and as a result the resistance will increase until there's not enough amps going through to power the windlass. Check to see how hot the wires get after operating the windlass.
  7. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Finman,

How is your wiring project coming along, what did you end up doing?