Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Battery chargers

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by kev cribb, Oct 11, 2022.

1. kev cribb

kev cribb New Member

Hi all
    Whilst down the engine room fixing another issue which I have already posted on here. I noticed that my 12 volt battery charger is showing a fault and has killed two batteries. Was fine last week ,,!,
    The charger is an Italian Aber marine bc1240. 3 outputs. So 12 volt and 40 amp
    There is only one output from it ( neg and pos) which goes to two 12 volt 126 ah batteries which are linked Paralel together. These are for marine 12 volt systems and some lights as well as starting the 11 kva genny.
    All I can seem to get hold of out here is a VICTRON bluesmart IP22 12 volt 30 amp replacement. does anyone have any info or thoughts on this charger and my usage.
    I just want to replace mine plug it in and forget about it I don’t see that it needs to be 40 amp but willing to listen to those in the know. Are these chargers any good reliable ?
    Talk about a week of it ,!!!
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Victron is good but I personally like ProMariners. I have 3 of them right now and have had them in previous boats or boats I ve run
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  3. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I have the Victron IP 22 12/30 with bluetooth.
    Purchased the Victron after previous charger had failed. The Victron continues to work as it should. I especially like being able to pull it up on my phone and see what is happening in the charging cycle. You can also see the history of the batteries as well, with many other options and info available. Seems to be a quality product.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Victron, MasterVolt and Promariner are all great chargers.
    You can not do wrong shopping from these brands.
  5. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I agree with Ralph. What I like about the Victron is the Bluetooth feature.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Victron also had another battery gizmo. A Voltage status meter that you could use thru your phone also.
    I used it with my previous (not so smart) inverter.
    My new inverter had a pile of goodies so I installed this Victron gizmo on my neighbors golf cart.
    What a great tool for an electric golf cart.
    And holding up well in a real hostile environment; the dash of an open cart in Florida.