Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross

Barnacle Buster

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Reel Antsy, Aug 16, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Does anyone here have first hand instructions for performing this cleaning procedure on the 671 TIB?
    I have the set up and performed this on my gas inboards a few years ago but am hoping someone has done this on a DD can offer up the inlet and return connections they have used for this engine.

Thanks
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I have DD, but not the 6. Our procedure is to remove all pencil zincs. shut down the raw intake, plumb the zinc at the water pump intake to a 5 gallon bucket of solution with a second bucket on hand, full. Start the engine, and feed around 8-10 gallons into the engine, then shut it down and let it sit. Return the zinc plug into place, open the raw intake, and then run the engine to flush everything out. Replace all zincs.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  3. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you, it seems like your method will work fine. Thank you.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I usually circulate the cleaning solution incl barnacle buster that’s what kind very tech does as well whether air con, DD, Cat, MTU etc

I use a bucket with a 120v rule bilge pump. Connect the hose to the system to be descaled and return to bucket. Usually you send the solution to the hose at the pump outlet and connect a return hose at the end of the system. Or connect to whatever individual cooler inlet and outlet.

more efficient than letting the solution just sit in there
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  5. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thanks Pascal, that's how I did it in my Crusaders. I have the kit from Trac Ecological with the bucket and pump. Was hoping someone had done this, the recirculating way on my specific engine as far as the inlet and outlet connections...
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You should probably send the cleaning solution at the hose connected to the raw water pump outlet and capture the return right before it gets to the exhaust manifold. Not familiar with the layout of the 671s
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I have DD 471 TIs. I've run a strong solution of 50/50 buster to water. I remove my intake hose near the seacock , I have enough hose to turn it up right and a large funnel , pour a 5 gallon bucket worth into the engine and then shut her down right away. I let it soak for two hours or so. Hook the sea water hose back up and run her for a few minutes while watching all the junk come out the exhaust.

Not a bad idea to remove your pencil zincs before hand and plug the hole up with old zinc ends.
    rtrafford and Reel Antsy like this.
  8. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

Thank you.
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

And Capt. Antsy, before you get real antsy, wonder what the outside /bottom of your engine intake strainer looks like? Any sea skank over, in, or up the area of the thru-hull will cause a water flow restriction to your hot rod TIBs. BB will not fix that, I'm sure you know. Check them out if your BB flush does not work to your liking. That mesh intake screen can clog up fast , if that's what you've got under the boat.

Something to consider. Good luck.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  10. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

more or less this is our regular routine on 12’s.
    Reel Antsy likes this.
  11. Reel Antsy

Reel Antsy New Member

I'm not having any present issues. Yup, know about the intake screens. Bottom is clean, just being proactive about maintenance....thanks.