Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Barnacle Buster

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Worthy vessel, Feb 20, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

I have had my Cummins engines, gen, and AC flushed with Barnacle Buster on 2 boats that I have owned. They disconnect the raw water intake and recycle Barnacle Buster for about 2 hours through each engine.
    I wanted to do this with my CAT C18 engines and the technician said not to ,that you would never get all the acid out of the system and would have problems 6 mo to a year down the line.
    Any thoughts- I don't see how it could not all get rinsed out.
    Thanks
  2. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Not my experience w/ 3406s; my CAT guy recommended it.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Barnacle buster is pretty mild especially compared to muriatic acid...

what do they recommend then?
  4. David Helsom

David Helsom Member

I had the ac guy run that through my ac system. He found a pin hole leak in one of the older compressors. The evidence was BB spraying all over my generator room and into my open tool box drawers(I was in the process of organizing them). It took him two hours to clean up the mess. I still find evidence of the event. One was the plastic fresh water shut off valve to the forward head. Luckily I was in the room when the housing developed a leak. I though I had and accident as it was spraying my back side while at work in that room, no lie.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

DON'T, you do not want that stuff circulating through a CAT aftercooler. Doing stuff like this is probably why CAT aftercoolers are failing. Do it proper and pull the aftercoolers and heat exchangers. Barnacle Buster generally works a lot of times, but it's really a bandaid. It doesn't get all of the shells or zincs out that are stuck in heat exchangers, is tough on metals as it all doesn't get out a lot of times, and the entire reason for pulling coolers is so you can physically inspect them and see what they look like and pressure test them.
  6. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

I would tend to second that advice but also if one did use the BB could one not use some sodium bicarbonate to circulate through the system to neutralize the acid?
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

How about flushing with 2500 gallons of sea water? Turn the key and go for a ride.
    Capt Ralph and bayoubud like this.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How about taking the heat exchangers apart and off of the boat for a professional cleaning, inspection, and test like the manufacturers engineers recommend in the owners manual?
  9. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Snarky snarky. OK, I should have been more specific as in that I was not recommending this to OP. It was a comment on the idea of neutralizing acid in a system that processes hundreds of gallons of water a minute. Yes, following manufacturers is generally not a bad idea.
  10. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

Well, lets see, a shell and tube heat exchanger for a typical Cat 3512 is approx. 18" dia., 7' long, weighs about 1000 lbs, has two 4" raw water in/out pipes, (below the water line), and two 6" engine cooling in/out pipes.
    You don't exactly unbolt it, throw it on your shoulder and carry it to the radiator shop.
    I've never pulled mine out, but I certainly would allow about a month yard time, with at least the removal and reinstall with the boat on the hard until you can blank flange the pipe work. And then there's either the storage or replacement of the entire fresh water coolant of two engines.
    The engine room soft patch to the main saloon has to be opened which means the main saloon needs to be gutted and protected for A frames, roller dollies, and then cranes to lift off the aft deck.
    Piece of cake.

Vs: a few hrs circulating BB.
    Hmmmm, tough decision.
    Oscarvan and bayoubud like this.
  11. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Hmmm a no-brainer. The maintenance schedules are written to protect the Mfg'r during warranty's. Such as Cat's 2 yr aftercooler schedule and short 6 yr replacement period. Not saying pulling, cleaning , and testing may not be necessary, but only if you are under warranty. Their plate heat exchanger's only need inspection, only pulled if issues found, and can be cleaned in place too. Plumbing a freshwater flush system for you engine raw water side while sitting at the dock will extend those maintenance items.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Happy to use the “come to your dock” BB cleaning service.
    I got 5 heat exchangers and hate to pull ‘em all just to do a proper acid boil, an inspection, a paint job and a re-instal.
    Paid $500 for the 2 hour treatment.
    Yes, the BB burns the zincs, but do it at the same time the zincs are due for replacements anyway.
    Clean looking air cooler 16 months after the BB treatment:
    DCD42E65-FB78-4956-BBAC-F4C82360C303.jpeg
    cleanslate likes this.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hard to compare the equipment of a real engine; Over 2500 stock HP and dry weight over 16,000 (<- 3 zeros) pounds built to survive Armageddon with no concern of weight restrictions. (Big Drool)
    The 3512 cooling may well be able to digest barnacles - oysters - man eating clams and large fish long before any cleaning could be required.:cool::cool: I wonder if these would actually help clean the tank.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In short text, No comparison with the yacht engines most of us are discussing here.:D:D
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

THIS. You're talking about an engine with KNOWN aftercooler failures, and CAT's recommendation became that of replacing them every 6 years, just a few years ago, when the C18 has been in service since 2004,and trying to compare it to a commercial rated heavy duty engine???
  15. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

Look at the logo for this website:

YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!

It's NOT: Yachtforums: We Know Medium Boats! LOLOL
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah well, reading comprehension is everything. The OP is asking about a set of Caterpillar C18's, not 3512's not megayachts.........
  17. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I've used BB on my boats , both Detroit Diesels, with success. BUT both boats being used, after purchase I always pull all the coolers first to see what's really going on and get them cleaned, inspected, pressure tested by my shop here at home. Now that I've got clean equipment , I will help keep them clear with and occasional soak of BB.

If it's a new boat to you and you are not positively sure the last time they were pulled and inspected, do it the right way pull them get them checked and cleaned.