Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Bareboat Charter Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by TexTaz, Dec 29, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TexTaz

TexTaz New Member

After lurking on this board for the last couple of months I've decided to take the advice of many regulars and start off with chartering. My wife and I have inland boating experience on 20' runabouts. We've chartered a couple times in the Pacific NW & have some experience on her father's 56'. Our plan is to charter for the next 1-2 years and then move into a 38-45' express cruiser. We'll see what happens after that; think we might like to go to a 70'+ as a second home - but that's the 5 yr plan. Anyhow....

This spring summer we are looking for a bareboat charter in the Carribean, perhaps the Bahamas. I've found NauticBlu, and will visit with them at the Miami Boat Show. I've also found Virgin Traders. Can anyone comment on these two companies and / or provide me with alternatives ?

Also looking for recommendations in the Pacific NW as we will schedule a September trip up that way. It's been a number of years since we last chartered up there and I don't remember who we used last.

Thank you. Its been a pleasure reading the advice and looking at the photos. If I can ever find where I put my digital camera I'll see if I can add to Carl's 2005 post FLIBs post. We were down on that same wknd cruising the intercoastal and snapping away with the camera.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi TexTaz,

Thanks for un-lurking. I had hoped someone would pick-up on this thread. I'm not familiar with Virgin Traders, but I met with some folks from NauticBlue at the 2004 FLIBS. It's easy to remember them... they are the only ones who invite you NOT to remove your shoes to come onboard! The staff was friendly, but I can't tell you if I spoke with a company rep or a hired human.

I can tell you the cat on display was clean (to be expected at the show!) and NauticBlue has been a consistent advertiser in several magazines for a few years... which might lead one to believe they're doing something right.

You're best bet is Google these brands in search of customer experience. You might also check into the Moorings, another name that comes to mind in the bareboat business.

Best of luck!