Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn

Bareboat Charter Recommendations - Any Location

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by WorldTraveler, Jun 3, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

Hey all!

I have been a longtime lurker but never registered since I have not had much time to be an active participant. However, I am struggling and thought that I could count on you guys (and girls) for some help! I'm looking for a larger 50'+ bareboat (motorboat) charter to island hop. I don't have a specific location in mind, so I am open to suggestions. Since it's HARD to find a motorboat that I can captain myself, I figured I would 'follow the boat.'

There will be two of us, so number of berths is not an issue. The issue for us is, comfort. We like space. In terms of experience, I am lucky enough to own a 52' Viking (Which will be for sale shortly - PM me if interested) and am in the middle of purchasing a 70', so I do have some experience. It's located in the northeast so I don't want to take the time to run it down to the islands, nor do I want to pay someone (Preferably not). Since my time is fairly limited, I'd rather just hop on a plane to an island (Or Miami) and step onto a boat.

I have only found two and they did not blow me away - one was older and the other had a speed of 16 knots (LAME!!! I am a sucker for power.).

So, any recommendations on charter companies where I can captain the vessel? Thanks so much in advance!
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Bareboat motoryacht over 50' are hard to find. But first define "island hop", Bahamas or Caribbean and for how long?

Power catamarans have become popular in charter fleets and will probably be your best option but in most case the cruising area maybe limited which is why I asked what you meant by Island hoping. For instance if chartering in the bvi, you are likely not going to be allowed to extend your island hoping to st Barthes, Anguilla and st marten... if chartering out of the abacos, they may not let you go on to the exumas. Out of Miami, you may encounter similar restrictions

Also, often the runs between group of islands take time especially waiting for a weather window. For instance in winter it's not unusual to have to wait 3 or 4 days if not more to cross the Gulf Stream. Same with the norwest channel between the berrys and Nassau to the exumas. And beating into the waves between th bvis and the leeward isn't a fun experience.
  4. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

Thank you so much! I forgot to add in my original post that this boat was my #1 option so far. I'm not too familiar with Croatia, but from what I've read so far is, it's beautiful. However, you do have to watch in some spots. So, I definitely have to do some more research on this. Thanks again, Fishtigua!
  5. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

Thanks for the reply, Pascal! Sorry for my lack of info / broad request. I am actually flexible in terms of where and how long. As I stated above, that boat in Croatia is my first choice so far.

I have been noticing Power Catamarans, but they're SLOW! Regardless, they do look pretty interesting. I came across a 51' one in the BVI. I definitely don't need gobs of power, but hey, I would like it :).

I called a few charter companies in Miami but they don't offer too much in terms of bareboat categories. Tons of crewed options, but that's off the table since I could just hire a crew myself to run the boat down south.

I do fish in the White Marlin Open and other tournaments around my area, so I am definitely used to 3-5 seas, and have been in much worse (Friday of the WMO in 2015 was WILD!). My only concern is safety. I know that the chartered boats won't have all of the same safety equipment that I am used to (and would like), so that's definitely something to consider.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Sadly the American Insurance Industry on powerful, fast bareboats rules out most of the US/Caribbean for charter, too many idiots. (Been there, seen the chaos and clumsy).

In Europe you must have proper papers to say you can skipper a bareboat of that size.
  7. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

Oh c'mon! haha, I totally get that. Funny - I just googled the regulations out of curiosity. I am starting to see that their are requirements, but luckily, I have gone through all proper steps to meet those requirements!

Any other charter companies? Does anyone have any experience with BoatBookings.com?
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

What is Proper Papers?
    Would that be a Yacht Master's ticket, or some Bareboat Qualification diploma from an "Approved Course", or a local license from the country you plan to rent in?
    Just curious, does a US Coast Guard 100 ton ticket mean anything in Europe, or the Caribbean Islands beyond the USVIs and Puerto Rico?
    I am headed to Europe next week for a short vacation and have been toying with the idea of renting a small boat for a day or two, but no idea if I qualify even with 25 years of experience in the US?
  9. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

Hey Norseman! I literally just got home from Europe (Positano) and I had no problem renting a boat. However, there is a 40HP limit for everyone. I did not look into renting a larger boat because my only option was a 40HP vessel. However, in Europe, some charter companies require certifications. I went through the US Coast Guard when I was 13 and took all boating courses, and when I inquired about the boat stated here, I "passed." Sorry I don't have specifics for you, but I would recommend calling the individual company you're interested in to see what they require.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Thx, but I am way too lazy to call the individual companies. I will just stroll down to the docks with a Visa card in my pocket (and copies of CV and licenses) to see if they will rent me something. :cool:
    If I planned the vacation around boat rental or chartering I would of course prepare better, but in this case, I will just look for a rental boat on short notice.
    If no cigar, no big deal, I will wander back to the out-door pub and sip a beer while I ogle the local girls wandering about in the Norwegian summer.
    (20 degrees centigrade/68 Fahrenheit forecast after my arrival, hot summer up there, everybody is outside day and night enjoying the midnight sun)
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I'm out of touch with 'Proper Paperwork' for renters, I'm the twit driving them for a living, yes a Yachtmaster. That was a while ago, I'm sure a lot more complex now.
  12. StillLearning

StillLearning Member

First posting, but might as well jump in.

We have done a lot of bareboat charters over the years (10 or so in the last 6 years), so have stayed fairly current on the market.

As someone mentioned above, I would agree that the 42+ bareboat options in US coastal waters are somewhere from very limited to non existent.
  13. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member