Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Banks Marine Diesel V8

Discussion in 'Engines' started by lovinlifenc, Feb 12, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

Based on the 6.6l chevy duramax, this might just be a great motor. Banks has previously tweaked these motors up to 1000hp, although this one will be in the 300's stock. There will be various duty cycle rated versions available, which should accommodate many different types of vessels. I want to put one in a shamrock inboard center console.

I wonder how many designers will incorporate this into their designs. Has anyone had any experience with banks? they have a new site at banks marine dot com, you know the drill..
  2. travler

travler Senior Member

what size and type shammie do you have i have a couple witch i love a 20 P/H with a new yanmar 110 hp diesel ( just installed ) and a 26 P/H that i have a 315 H/P yanmar in , do you belong to the shamrock forum , if not P/M me and i will send you the link these are great little boats i have had mine every where you could imagine as for as the banks engines they do a good job and are very inovative , i woud check the weights and the deminsions carefuly and make sure it will fit , let me know what happens

good luck travler
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Isn't the Chevy Duramax motor made by Isuzu?

Personally I would rather have a widely commercially made marine diesel. It's much easier to get the proper parts to repair a yanmar or cat, then a marinized automotive diesel. IMO. It's also a lot easier to sell the boat later.
  4. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

Since the motors aren't available yet, you must have unbelievable insight to speak about the future parts availability.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Banks Marine

Don't forget..boats travel in different locations than cars and a dealer network with parts for marine engines is very expensive to start up and maintain, specially for a "new" product line, this usually means buyers are hesitant to jump in until the product is well proven....mind you, there are products on the market that people buy regardless, hence the success of this forum...
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There have been MANY people that have marinized automotive/truck diesels over the years, that have come and went and are no longer in business. You're relying on getting a diesel from another manufacturer, marinizing it, then hoping the manufacturer produces it for many years, then warrantying it when it breaks. I've seen many of these companies come and go. BUT, how are you going to say that BANKS could ever have the worldwide parts network that CAT has? History generally repeats itself.
  7. orion

orion Senior Member

8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Where do they say the Duramax is made in Sweden?

There are a lot of references on the website where it is stated that the MD Engines are based on a GM 6.5 V8 Diesel until 2010 when the Duramax 6.6 comes online.

The Duramax seems to be as suggested earlier by CaptJ in Post No 3 to be an Isuzu based engine according to this: http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/The_Duramax_Diesel_6600_Story
  9. orion

orion Senior Member

I dont know where the engine blocks be manufactured, I think
    marinediesel only do the marineizing.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We had one of the earlier Marinediesels 300 with a single supercharger fitted in a Rinker in the yard last summer.

The owner asked us to fit a silencer to the exhaust as it barked so loudly it frightened the kids. The boat is still running sweetly with just routine maintenance. A well made marinisation.