Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Backup camera question for aft cruisers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Cruiser4450, Jan 28, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cruiser4450

Cruiser4450 New Member

I am looking for reverse backup camera’s for my 4450 aft cruisers.I have been looking and found the raymarine ones are so expensive. I wanted cameras because I really can’t see backing up. This will be my first year with docking a aft style boat. Kinda looking for two cameras one for each side so I can see, and watch when my wife steps off the boat. I just purchased the raymarine Axiom 12

So I’m sure I can split the screen with the camera. I also have to figure out how to be able to see one camera at a time, not going to need both camera just either side depending on port or starboard tie ups . Any help would be greatly appreciate

0CD06253-1621-4B34-860B-1D2182605108.jpeg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2019
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

When I did our electronics 2 years ago, I just bought and installed KJMC10R Camera (I believe from Hodges). There may be better technology available now, but it was roughly $120 (+ $35 for the 10M video cable) and has worked fine. As far as splitting the screen etc, you will be able easily set all of that up from the main menu on your MFD.

Max
  3. Cruiser4450

Cruiser4450 New Member

Max , thank you for the info . Is that camera reverse image ?
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

yes. You'll want to research exactly what you'll need with regard to your network etc. Depending on what other equipment etc you're running (transducer, radar, AP), it likely won't be as simple as running a cable from the camera to your mfd. I had an electrical engineer friend help me with this part (nmea network etc).

Max
  5. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I just installed these in the fall. Love them, very small golf ball size. Reverse image and very reasonable.
    Installed them on the sides by my wing doors so it's like looking in a side mirror on a truck.

"Speco Technologies HT71TW 2MP Outdoor HD-TVI Mini Turret Camera with Night Vision (White)"

Got them at B&H Camera online.
    PM me if you want the entire system layout.
  6. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

My 2 cents: If you can't see out aft, and can't get good "guidance" from 1st mate [Admiral, really!!], don't back in. I've seen too many allusions with docks/boats from operators who can't do it. The camera is good for scanning, but you will have no depth perception.

I have backed ships into berth [no camera], using the eyes of the mates, who are calling off distances from stern, quarter, etc. But we did this often and were fully trained.
  7. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

See my post in: WHAT IS THE AVERAGE AGE TO RETIRE FROM YACHTING for some reading enjoyment.;):)o_O
  8. Nep6012

Nep6012 New Member

Not sure how the Axiom works, but the Garmins have multiple video inputs and you can select any video source. Also has a timed Alternate mode that will rotate through sources at 5, 10 or 30 seconds. Since Raymarine acquired FLIR, I would think they may have similar features.