Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Backhander in our Industry

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Crewagency, Jul 15, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Reading through some actual Magazines i want to open this new thread.
    In the Yachting Matters Magazine edition No. 8 i read an article about this.
    Also in the latest German Magazine Boote Exclusiv i read that this was a discussion point at this years Seas 2005 in Nice and they are thinking about creating a black list !!

So i think a thread in Yachtforums will unearth the truth !!

I dont want to see names or Yacht names here !!!! only stories.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This could be the longest thread on the Forum, but I doubt it will... :eek:
  3. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

The first Story

One of my clients told me that he comes to his 30m SY in Spain and wears a technican overal to have a look over the newly installed gensets. Suddenly a Man from the company who installed the gens came to the ship and asked :
    you are capitano ?
    The owner sais yes i am.
    The man hand over an envelope to him.
    The owner thinks : They are quick with the invoice here.
    He opened the envelope and found 4000 Euro in cash without any comment.
    exactly 10 percent of the 40000 € he spent for the 2 new generators.
    He forwarded this to his capatin as the last salary !!!
  4. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

In order to hopefully keep this thread going, I'll add my two cents.

I have found that in Europe (Med) this is the normal way of doing things. In the four seasons I spent over there I was able to experience it first hand, they came from just about all vendors. This seems to be an excepted practice by all involved. On this side of the Atlantic (US) I do not think it is vey prevalant. At least I have never seen or been involved in it. I am sure that if you pushed and were one of the few unscrupulous captains, that it does happen.

The difference I think is that in the Med it is pretty much an accepted practice, but in the US it much more of a back room deal. With that said, good luck with a code of conduct, this is too much of an unregulated industry with to many fly by nighters. Personally I would like too see a code of practice and would sign on immediately.